May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (MattH, Argo44), 605 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,542
Posts546,054
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I love reading Ruark's account of shooting birds in Africa.

I plan to safari next year, and will certainly take some time to add birds to the bag.

I hope you too Chuck, earn the name Bwana Kanga.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen,

This is a great thread! Thank you to all for sharing this information.

One often reads of bird shooting in South America which would be an experiance but the same in Africa? Wow!!!

Respectfully,
Mark

USMC Retired
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, what kind of airline case(s) are you going to use for your guns?
And any updates on the ammo situation for the 410s?

LGF Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Treblig -I googled Bird Shooting Kenya before I wrote yesterday and found several websites, although I think most of them are US or UK agents. Bateleur Safaris came up - I don't know the current owner but knew his father; they are an old Kenya family. I have a few friends who do bird safaris - I will contact them and let you know by PM.

Dave - as far as I know, shooting over dogs is allowed; nothing against it in the laws. Everyone in my part of the country has ghastly Staffordshire terriers (pit bulls) or local pie dogs, no working bird dogs. I know a PH in Nairobi who has dogs for his own private shooting, however.

Sidelock
Sidelock

http://linktosite.co.uk/services/gameshooting/african-bird-safari

Here are some photos from our last bird safari.

11F Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have shot dove, quail, francolin and ducks in the Caprivi in Nambia in between big game hunting and a trip to Zambia for tigerfish. I have also shot sand grouse and (curiously)Egyptian geese in the Nambib desert in southern Namibia and guinea fowl in central Namibia. All of these were sideshows to the main event of big game. While the bird numbers were very good, the African bird shooting does not compare to Argentina IMHO. I am going to Tucuman in NW Argentina in July for duck and doves and back to Africa in August for 12 days for buffalo and some antelope I "need". In today's Africa, time constraints and practicalities on safari often inhibit the ability to spend a few days on birds so I would recommend a specific trip if you are serious about bird hunting.Having said that I would have like to do some bird shooting in Kenya as well having missed the halcyon days of big game there.

BTW, anyone serious enough to spend the $$ and time to go to Africa does themselves (and their hosts) a dis-service by restricting themselves to .410s. Africa isn't California(or Cordoba) I would take a double in 12 or 20.(I used a Parker Repro 28" 12 ga for years as a "travel gun") but to each his own... The variety of birds in the RSA is such that while a .410 might be OK for walked up francolin or doves, I would not want to use one on spurwinged geese,guinea fowl or even the pigeons. Have a great trip!

Last edited by 11F; 04/10/12 10:31 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree a .410 is a bit pointless in Africa. While it would bag the odd quail and possibly a francolin or a close-range, head-shot guinea, it is not a serious game gun.

You will end up with a lot of pricked birds, which, won't be picked, and a deal of frustration. You may get away with it on the doves when pass shooting. I have used one in Texas shooting doves and it works OK for that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree about the .410.

Having lived in South Africa (I miss the colonial life there) my advice is to time your bird shooting, especially Rock pigeons and doves to the harvest time for sunflowers, which begins now through June-July. That time is also best for all wingshooting. I shot in July down in the Free State for all the game birds and wildfowl. Shot one time down there on a farm that had 28,000 acres of standing corn--this will give you some idea of how large farming is in the RSA.

A couple of hours drive north of Pretoria is a prime walk up shooting over dogs area near the village of Settlers. Mostly only the locals know about this area. Ask your outfitter, he may be saving it for himself. Shooting ends in that area at 1 August each year, or in former good times in RSA that is when it ended.

As to the shooting venue in RSA there are many outfitters, and all of them will put you amongst the wingshooting.

When I lived there I was a member of the South African Wingshooting Association. Wonderful group of shooters who know where all the best shooting is the country is located. They may have a website now, I have not checked. They do print a magazine for their members.

As to picking an outfitter, you want to focus on the accomodations, food and wine; as I have said that they all will know where the birds are located in great numbers.

For the gentleman sport who purse is not empty, one will find that a couple of weeks with Rovus Rail, riding the rails through South Africa via a steam locomotive and stopping to wingshoot in various venues is a treat to remember for the remainder of your life. The food and wine is wonderful.

I have not read anyone on this BBS mention the 'REAL" wingshooting, sport of the shooters that really know the RSA, and that is Greywing shooting in the high Drakensberg mountains down in the Natal. The outfitters will supply horses, dogs, guides, guns and accomodations. This is shooting that you dream about and is only found like this in this one place in the World. A once in a life-time event for most people and one of the most beautiful places on the planet. It is not for the faint of heart.

I have not been back to the RSA shooting since 2008, however my RSA mates expect a great season there and are already shooting pigeons.

Good shooting;
Bv

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck, I'm taking over your thread, sorry!!! smile
What about a 16 gauge and what about a repeater (pump model 12)?

Chuck H Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

No repeaters.

My info is that, at least the outfitter my friend contacted, does not provide 16ga.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.