May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
2 members (1574trap, 1 invisible), 253 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,537
Posts546,028
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My neighbors have several (expensive) Lab/Standard Poodle "crosses." (I'm not sure whether they are a recognized breed or not, but they COST like purebreds!).

They are beautiful, well-trained, intelligent, and affectionate critters--just about what you'd expect of crossing two wonderful breeds.

But (here comes dat BIG BUTT), those are both also wonderful HUNTING breeds! My neighbors are more interested in home made wine than hunting, but does anybody hunt with "doodles"? If not, why not?

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend has one, he does not hunt, but he says if the dog goes through a burdock patch it's quite a job to get the burrs out.
It's a beautiful dog, though, exquisite manners.
Mike

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Yeah, the wonderful coat could be a problem in "sticker country," but they could get a "Sportsman" cut (we used to call it a Butch, but I guess that's out now....) like hunting Poodles do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have had an 'Australian Labradoodle' for about 7 years now. In Australia this lady actually breeds them as a line and it is not a simple cross as it is in the US.
http://www.rutlandmanor.com/
The coat can vary and ours is very very curly and the hair is trapped in the coat as in a Poodle with no shedding. There is no way that this dog could go into briars. The Lab traits result in a dog that is not quite as high strung as some Poodles but with the Poodle guard and alert traits. She(Lily) is simply loving and truly adorable. She flew over on Quantus and there is no quarantine because Australia has no Rabies. Beverly, owner of Rutland Mannor is one of those rare people who are truly consumed with a passion for these animals. I can't say enough about how healthy the pup was on arrival. Rutland Manor actually conditions the pups for travel and you get one at 3 months old after a long wait for an animal with traits that you and Beverly decide upon. The nose on Lily is superb and she loves to spend most of her time outdoors with it stuck on the ground.
As you can see, she has her own couch with Filson cover as well as Filson dog bed.
She is not a hunter but a lover.-Dick

Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Interesting post and link, Dick. I like unusual breeds (I suppose all breeds were unusual when they began.). I'm not against working breeds as pets, but am always a little disappointed in working dogs that don't get to work. Hundreds in our neighborhood; all kinds from Brittany's to Chessies. (Never thought I'd see a Chesapeake as lap dog! His tail alone would make a good lap dog.....)

Sidelock
Sidelock

A neighbor lady has one that seems well adjusted. I'm guessing they would be decent retrievers. The few I've seen were pets so I don't think they were representative of the potential conformation if PT'd to a sporting dog regimine.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have two goldendoodles. One has the tightly curled poodle coat and the other has the wavy retreiver coat. They are intelligent and have great demeanor. One is extremely "birdy" and the other is oblivious. I think with work, the 'birdy" one would be a fine dog in the field.

Last edited by mtwoodson; 11/20/11 09:39 PM. Reason: typo, of course
Mike A. Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

For waterfowl work I think they would be good, assuming all the instincts are intact (which one CAN'T assume: I know of one Water Spaniel that is afraid of water....). In the marsh they wouldn't encounter as many stickers and foxtails as in upland hunting. They seem very trainable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike A.
My neighbors have several (expensive) Lab/Standard Poodle "crosses." (I'm not sure whether they are a recognized breed or not, but they COST like purebreds!).

Actually, despite the cost, they're still mutts.

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Boxlock
Boxlock

I tried hunting field birds with my two Jack Russell Terriers. However, they thought the whole process was undertaken for their enjoyment and benefit, and besides that, it was lunch time which for them begins at 9:00 A.M. and continues to 4:00 P.M. (Supper time begins at 4:01 P.M.)

In addition to all that, the two girls could not get the fact that I was along on the hike in order to shoot the feathered critters as they were flying; and their attention was more directed towards the Chipmonks and Squirrels.

Anyone else have a better experience with J.R. Terier Retreivers ?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.