April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (Fudd, Parabola), 362 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,474
Posts545,168
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
sernv99 Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have been drooling for a 20 bore SxS and really like the RBL offerings. However, the longest barrels they make are 28". I would prefer 29 or 30" barrels for better dynamics, given my tall statue (I'm 6'1" and prefer sub-gauge O/U hunting guns in 30" barrels).

For those of similar stature and who own the RBL 20 bore in 28" barrel, how do you find the handling dynamics?

Thanks.

Last edited by sernv99; 10/06/11 10:57 AM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Servn99 - I have both the RBL20 with 28" barrels and the RBL28 with 28" and 30" barrels. As I noted in another post about 26" barrels, for me handling dynamics are more affected by balance than barrel length, and my 26"-barreled 16 ga. is so well-balanced that I never think about its barrel length.

That said, of my three RBLs, I have enjoyed shooting the 30" barrels on the RBL28 the most. I have shot both preserve pheasants and SCs with it, and the light weight (sub 6lbs) lets it point quickly but the extra length definitely provides a smoother, more sustained swing on crossing targets. I have only shot skeet with the 28" barrels, and found that I had to focus on keeping the gun moving on Skeet stations 3-5 in order to break targets consistently. (For comparison, I am 5'10"/165lbs).

CSMC can custom make barrels for an RBL but you don't want to know that they charge for that.

Last edited by Doverham; 10/06/11 01:06 PM.

Such a long, long time to be gone, and a short time to be there.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sernv99, handling dynamics are described by weight, balance (teeter-totter point, not some over-all judgement), unmounted swing effort, and mounted swing effort. These four are measurable and provide a quantified description of any individual gun. Of course, how individuals react to any given set of numbers - "fingerprint" if you will - will vary; this is why there is no general agreement as to what constitutes desirable handling. One man's go-to gun is another's pig-on-a-snow shovel.

Establishing a personal handling "fit" is functionaly the same as establishing a personal stock fit - except that we don't have handling fit pros (yet). So, you have to rely on your personal experience with guns. I have a data base of about 600 guns. Tell me what you like a lot and dislike a lot for one single shooting purpose. I don't have a RBL, but will make it a mission to get one if you are interested in pursuing determining the probability of satisfactory handling with the RBL.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ok..So I'm old..BUT either you can shoot or you cant...I do not believe that 1/2 inch in Bbl length or a 1/4 inch in drop or length will make or break a shooter. It seems to be another crutch, in this day of excuses for poor performance. I shoot a lot and hunt a lot, change guns almost every day..And I am a hell of a shot...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Last Dollar
Ok..So I'm old..BUT either you can shoot or you cant (mmmmm, I'd say it is analog, not binary; and probably normally distributed)...I do not believe that 1/2 inch in Bbl length or a 1/4 inch in drop or length will make or break a shooter (probably not, but it may allow him to shoot his best). It seems to be another crutch, in this day of excuses for poor performance (if a rifle's sights are not aligned to POI, you should learn to hold off? Why not fit your shotgun as accurately as you can/your budget allows?) . I shoot a lot and hunt a lot, change guns almost every day..And I am a hell of a shot... (I agree!!! What, you think I'm going to disagree with a hell of a shot? grin )

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sernv99

You might look at the Browning 20g SxS in 28" if you want more "swing weight". The Browning has much heavier barrels and swings like a gun with seemingly longer barrels. They're enough cheaper that you'll have money left to buy a lot of shells.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I am 6'1", 220#, and have an RBL 20. I think it handles great. I love shooting it and hunt with it regularly. Although, I must admit I don't think my technique is sufficiently refined to notice a 1" difference in barrel length. I hope to get there someday, though.

--shinbone

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rocketman, I guess I am a bit weary of trying to overwhelm everything with technology..We have taken the "Primitive weapons" thing so far away from it's original purpose, that it isnt anymore...I have said before in this forum, that I am constantly amused here at "Hunters Ranch" watching guys change chokes, insert spacers, add cheek fillers, and.......continue missing birds...I suppose if I were shooting clays in competition for money, I might want to tweak the iron. I shoot in 2 leagues for fun, with whatever gun suits my fancy that day, and enjoy the heck out of it...I think thats what this sport is all about..Thanks for the compliment on my shooting, My student, Amarillo Mike, has benefited greatly from my advice..

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.