May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (SKB), 266 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,703
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am about to refurbish a older safe into one suitable for gun storage. My general thinking is I would like to panel the interior with wood (haven't chosen what type yet), and build the racks out of walnut. It is large enough I expect to easily fit 30 doubles in it when I'm done.

Does anyone have any comments regarding moisture control? The safe will have at the very least an incandescent bulb and silica in it.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

Depending on your climate, you might not need to worry about moisture control. I have needed none in western South Dakota, Anchorage and western Montana.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Put a goldenrod in it and forget about it.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Daryl Hallquist
Depending on your climate, you might not need to worry about moisture control. I have needed none in western South Dakota, Anchorage and western Montana.

Thanks for the response Daryl. I'm in southern Ontario. Fairly humid and having been raised on the Canadian prairies, I can attest that it is much more humid than South Dakota or Montana. I keep a light bulb, golden rod and silica in my other safe.

Because the safe has no interior lining at all, I want to put something in like wood panels to protect the guns from the occasional bump. Just wondering if I needed to back the wood with anything to avoid creating a moisture absorbent lining.

The world cries out for such: he is needed & needed badly- the man who can carry a message to Garcia
Sidelock
Sidelock

I did exactly what you're planning about 8-9 years ago. I was given a big (5200# I was told) Mosler Safe that was once the business safe for a Chevrolet dealership here. I had to hire a roll back car hauler to move it for me.

Anyway, I stripped all the old wooden shelves and pigeon holes out of it an cleaned the interior good, then cut a tight nap carpet and glued it to all interior surfaces with 3M spray adhesive. Before doing so I drilled a 3/8" hole through the floor, in a corner, with an extra long HSS drill bit. It went through the inner floor, insulating material (it looked like a mixture of concrete and asbestos?) and the outside floor with ease, probably about 9 inches total thickness. I ran the cord for a large Goldenrod through the hole and put the plug on the end outside. I didn't bother building any racks or shelves, not wanting to take up any space. I just lean the guns up against the walls and haven't had any problem. I find I can squeeze more in there by not having any racks or shelves. You may rather have them, however.

The carpet has worked great and everything stays warm, dry and toasty from the heat off the Goldenrod. This is Georgia, and extremely humid, commonly running in the mid 90% level all summer. You could use the 3M adhesive, or some other construction adhesive like Liquid Nails to put paneling in it, but I prefer the carpet.

Good luck, Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I second what Stan says, I converted a flammables storage cabinet into a gun safe using 3m and carpet, turned out good.
Take Care Pedler

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Stan
I did exactly what you're planning about 8-9 years ago. I was given a big (5200# I was told) Mosler Safe that was once the business safe for a Chevrolet dealership here. I had to hire a roll back car hauler to move it for me.

Anyway, I stripped all the old wooden shelves and pigeon holes out of it an cleaned the interior good, then cut a tight nap carpet and glued it to all interior surfaces with 3M spray adhesive. Before doing so I drilled a 3/8" hole through the floor, in a corner, with an extra long HSS drill bit. It went through the inner floor, insulating material (it looked like a mixture of concrete and asbestos?) and the outside floor with ease, probably about 9 inches total thickness. I ran the cord for a large Goldenrod through the hole and put the plug on the end outside. I didn't bother building any racks or shelves, not wanting to take up any space. I just lean the guns up against the walls and haven't had any problem. I find I can squeeze more in there by not having any racks or shelves. You may rather have them, however.

The carpet has worked great and everything stays warm, dry and toasty from the heat off the Goldenrod. This is Georgia, and extremely humid, commonly running in the mid 90% level all summer. You could use the 3M adhesive, or some other construction adhesive like Liquid Nails to put paneling in it, but I prefer the carpet.

Good luck, Stan

Stan, Mine is a Mosler as well. Thanks very much for passing on your experience. Sounds like with the wood, light bulb and goldenrod, I should be good to go.

Will be creating racks as I'm essentially clumsy and need all the help I can get not banging the guns into each other. LOL

Sidelock
Sidelock

A friend built some long gun storage much like map drawers. I think they were about 60 inches wide and stacked about 10 high. He got good hardware so he could pull out the drawers when full of guns and also got a very strong plywood which he said originated in Russia. All looked nice and functioned well, but----------apparently there were some vapors from the plywood glue and a few weeks later he discovered his pristine doubles with lots of case color now had the case color missing on the "contact" side with the drawers. As I remember he had a couple of dozen doubles ruined in that way. Be careful what glues you get close to your guns.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 09/04/11 07:08 PM.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Daryl, thanks for the words of warning. I wouldn't have suspected plywood glues could be a problem. I'll consider how I might do it without glues. I was thinking of tongue and groove wood boards glued directly to the metal interior wall with a silicone adhesive.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Suggest you set the safe on some 2 X 4's as a way of keeping moisure from wicking from the floor into the safe, and also providing a couple of inches of safety in case of a sump pump failure or...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.