April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (canvasback, Fudd), 488 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,160
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#238091 08/06/11 05:10 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I am considering having a case-hardened boxlock engraved. I have a very talented engraver friend who owes me a favor and can do the work. However I have a few questions prior to beginning the project.

I assume that the action needs to be dissembled and annealed.

After the action body is engraved, I'd like to have an antique gray or dull silver finish applied, and not replace the case colored look. I do not know if it needs to be re-hardened.

If anyone has any experience with this process, could you fill me in on all the details of preparing the piece for engraving and then the finishing process.

Thanks in advance.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'd ask the engraver..
Disassembly, annealing and polishing would be mandatory in my experience.
As would re-hardening, even if the colors were removed afterwards.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If the engraver is qualified to work on a high quality shotgun he or she should be able to answer your questions in detail and have the proper contacts for the non-engraving aspects of the job.

"Disassembly, annealing and polishing would be mandatory in my experience." I agree with Steve.

As to rehardening, some guns have CCH only for looks and are made of modern high strength steels. Again the engraver should know the answers for your particular gun or be networked with other engravers to get the correct answers for you.

Cheers,

Roger

C. Roger Bleile
Author of American Engravers-The 21st Century
FEGA Historian
www.engravingglossary.com
Sidelock
Sidelock

When I take my stuff to the engraver he prefers it annealed. He "has" done stuff on actions for me that are not soft but doesn't like it, wrecks tools and makes it slow.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

Alot of case hardened actions & parts are not cased that awful deeply that they cannot be polished up and at the same time remove the thin outer case (hardening).

Most can use a good polishing to square things up, make the flats,,flat, ect. Also to remove small blemishes that otherwise hide in the current finish.
An otherwise great looking gun can look not so great to the engraver once the finish is off and in the white.

It avoids the annealing & rehardening steps but still provides
for a soft surface to engrave while leaving the inside and wear surface areas case hardened.
A grey/antique type finish can then be applied to the parts and will take nicely to the soft outer surfaces.

Gives you another option to think about.
I've done it a number of times

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Kutter:

I like your approach.

"It avoids the annealing & rehardening steps but still provides
for a soft surface to engrave while leaving the inside and wear surface areas case hardened."

I like your approach. I have read on this Board and in books I have that the the outer hardened skin is in fact quite thin. It would certainly avoid many pitfalls to NOT anneal the entire action body.

"A gray/antique type finish can then be applied to the parts and will take nicely to the soft outer surfaces."

How is this finish applied?

Please tell me more about your process. You can always PM me at mgruber(at)state.nm.us. if you'd rather not post it here.

Thanks in advance.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

You will find out exactly how thin or thick the hardening is after the first couple of hours of hand polishing...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Note that casing and heat treating are NOT the same thing and that is why some actions are cased AFTER they are heat treated. Annealing is a very bad idea unless there is some reason other than engraving to consider. Different composition steels are heat treated for different levels w/ different schemes. You don't know what you have and can end up with some less than optimum results just going for a guess.
Heat treated metals are generally more tough than hard and can be engraved. Carbide gravers will cut thru casing too and they will even cut stainless and Ruger actions hahaha. At any rate, Kutter has some good advice there IMO

have a day

Dr.WtS

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 08/07/11 03:18 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Why skimp? Metal prep and wood prep are the most important steps in finishing any gun. You would never think about finishing a stock that had not been sanded and filled so why would you engrave a gun without first getting the metal in first class shape?

You can have ten grand of engraving look like crap if the metal is not well and properly prepped before the job and then finished afterwards. Metal prep is time consuming but not that high tech hard to do. It does take time and effort to do well. Might be another matter if you were just trying to pick up the old engraving or were on a tight budget on a gun that you were fixing up to sell.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Wonko the Sane
Note that casing and heat treating are NOT the same thing and that is why some actions are cased AFTER they are heat treated. Annealing is a very bad idea unless there is some reason other than engraving to consider. Different composition steels are heat treated for different levels w/ different schemes. You don't know what you have and can end up with some less than optimum results just going for a guess....

have a day

Dr.WtS

My understanding of heat treating or at least hardening of steel is that the specs of a given heat treatment would not survive the temps required to case harden. The steel would likely have lost the structure that caused the hardness or at least be heavily tempered or softened.

If the engraver can cut hardened steel, they might not need to remove the hardened case if they just want to remove the colors. The tough part of a case hardened action may be the softer inside, not the harder outside.

Just wondering, Craig

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.