May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (eeb, David Williamson, Drew Hause), 266 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,742
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#237264 07/29/11 05:48 PM
pedler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

The loonies are at it again, it is being renamed St Chad because they don`t want people to associate gun quarter with crime.Apologise if this has been brought up before been away from computer.
Take Care Pedler

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pedler,
Do they mean St. Chads in The Gun Quarter?
Which is what it will always be to sportsmen and Brummies

pedler Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

There is an article in Daily Mail the new names are St George and St Chads, local residents did not like the name gun quarter,google Daily mail and search gun quarter.Although not in gun quarter my brother was born on St Chads hospital.
Take Care Pedler

Sidelock
Sidelock

Not heard anything myself. Here's a picture of the Bull's Head pub in the Birmingham Gun Quarter. Salopian may recognise the chap walking up the street as Derek Fearn Master Gunsmith and Gunmaker in his own right. I bet that pub has heard a few tales and entertained a few characters in its time: Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Used to be a regular lunchtime drop in of mine .... always kept a decent pint of Pedigree; cheese and beetroot sarnies top hole too.

Last in there a couple of months back after visiting Ben. Wilds and Lewis's.

When I was a yoof there was an area of the City, Varna Road, famous for it's high number of very friendly ladies; as part of the Inner Ring road scheme it was renamed (I think) Belgravia Way. I am told the ladies still have a flourishing trade and the former customs still survive.

Eug

Last edited by eugene molloy; 07/30/11 05:12 PM.

Thank you, very kind. Mine's a pint
Sidelock
Sidelock

Sadly Derek died earlier this year after a long illness > RIP a good friend and all round nice guy.

G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yes, I went to the funeral. Most of what's left of the Birmingham Gun Quarter was there too. A very decent and honourable man; a fountain of knowledge about guns and stuff and greatly missed by all who knew him. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Right. This is serious. I've just spoken to my mate still involved there and it's fair to say the people at the quarter are very upset about the potential for this.

I've mobilised my team to create a website petition system and a facebook follow group. I'm also in contact with the shooting times over here to make sure it gets into next week's edition. I'll be back with the page soon and I expect everyone to sign up to the petition!

Throw away 250 years of heritage because people don't like the name gun? Insane freaks.

T

Sidelock
Sidelock

So, it is correct then! I will certainly sign up. Might be one for Midlands Today local news programme. I suppose that we won't be able to call the Black Country that anymore either ( for those not familiar with the Black Country, it is a part of the Midlands around Birmingham that was the scene of heavy industry that left the environment somewhat smoke balckened) where will all this mad political correctness end? I should think that the majority of the people of 'Brum', our second largest city, won't be too pleased either. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Lagopus, posted new post with all the details please send around the links to all you know that will support this.

I've spoken to Shooting Times today and will again tomorrow with news and comment plan for next week and the week after.

Cheers

T

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.