Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Sidelock
Sidelock

I don't mind the idea of live pigeon competition shoots,sounds bloody hard n expensive.
About eating Pigeons....
back in England as a lad I'd find a few wood Pigeons nests, wait nearby & kill both nesting birds if I could , then I'd climb up , get the eggs n eat em soft boiled for tea
My Mum would make lovely home crust pies with the birds, ....lovely grub mates!
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Franc Otte
I don't mind the idea of live pigeon competition shoots,sounds bloody hard n expensive.
About eating Pigeons....
back in England as a lad I'd find a few wood Pigeons nests, wait nearby & kill both nesting birds if I could , then I'd climb up , get the eggs n eat em soft boiled for tea
My Mum would make lovely home crust pies with the birds, ....lovely grub mates!
franc

Sorry franc but I just ate a wonderful meal of homemade pork sausage and fresh picked asparagus. Now my stomach is doing flip flops after reading about pigeon eggs. sick

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
Sidelock
Sidelock

JRB...These were Fresh Picked too ( Well, back then)
I used to roam the little streams for Morehen ( a Coot like water birds) nests...magpies,( No pies there smile as well.All were fair game>
I'd eat any wild grub I can get my mitts on , still do.
I've raised a few pigs up/over here in NH, & I agree the Bangers & mash,& veg of choice are a grand feed
An eggs an egg to me
cheers
franc

Sidelock
Sidelock

Apparently some PETA types went one further at one of the Pennsylvania venues, getting their hands on a drone helicopter which they used to film the shoot. Until they flew it into a tree on the range, where it supposedly remains, stuck in the drone-eating tree.

And, FWIW, for eating pigeons are as good as doves. Though I would draw the line at pigeon eggs. Pheasant eggs, poached on toast - another story. I'm there for them. But not pigeon.

Last edited by Dave in Maine; 06/08/11 09:36 PM.

fiery, dependable, occasionally transcendent
Sidelock
Sidelock

For many many years I've cleaned and eaten all the farm pigeons I've shot along with Doves and they taste just the same. For the last twenty I've made Dove/Pigeon pies -- "Empanadas De Campo, Con Paloma" Shooting Sportsman, Aug/Sep 1991 pp 74-75.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you enjoy shooting boxbirds then you need to travel out of the US. Some of the gun clubs that host the big shoots are nicer than the Ritz. 5-600 shooters all there for one reason having a good time. What a boost to the local economy. There's a few countries that want the big shoots in there country for that reason alone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

When I lived in the DC suburbs I shot a lot of feral pigeons around Damascus in dove season. They flew out from town to feed in the green chop on dairies. The wife liked them better than doves. Also shot a few cross country pigeon racers that didn't IFF themselves. They all TASTED great.

All the pigeons that I have seen killed at shoots, either columbare or box, have been given to someone to eat. Nothing wrong with eating a barn rat.

W. E. Boyd
Sidelock
Sidelock

Squab are young, flightless pigeons.
Fresh out of the egg, feed them a rich diet. Watch them, as they just begin to attempt flight from the nest edge, harvest them. There's a way to get the whitest meat which I won't go into.
No comparison to silo rats.
Roasted with new potatoes, hericot verts, and a glass of Malbec.
A green salad (with a wisp of fennel and toasted pine nuts) is a nice addition.
Now I gotta go feed my geese, whether they want to eat or not!

Seriously, I thought I was a decent shot until I started shooting the occasional pigeon match at my club. It upped my game considerably, but let's just say the learning curve was pricey.
Grouse gunners that can shoot tight chokes had a real advantage. Me, well ultimately, I realized I was just too slow. But, I'm hard headed, so I invested the money anyway. I was dished out excellent lumps.

Money, guns, pressure, (and yes some liquor) beats golf all to hell.

Out there doing it best I can.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Clapper:

Find a ZZ shoot. It will sharpen you a LOT. The game is much less pricey (about $2.00 @ bird) last I shot and a little different than box birds but MUCH better than golf.

The sport of kings to me.

W. E. Boyd
Boxlock
Boxlock

The easiest way is to be a "Pigeon" ie. drive a Range Rover, shoot a Fabbri, piss money away like water, and most importantly not shoot worth a damn.

This will get you invited everytime. smile

Good Luck,

PS - nothing personal just a little humor

Page 4 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.