May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (Pwog, Mike Harrell, Ken Nelson, MattH, 2 invisible), 259 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,565
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

+1 on Force 44 being hot blue resistant. I have had at least three different guns with Force 44 attached sight ramps that withstood hot bluing with no problems.

OB

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi-Force 44 is a 96% tin/4% silver solder with a 475F melt point. While I was looking it up on the Brownell's site, I noted that there was no leaded solders shown. Anyone that predicts they will need lead/tin solder to fix their ribs should stock up if they can still find it.

SKB Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

My local hardware sells it, just not for plumbing. Stained glass is the main reason I believe.

http://www.bertramandco.com/
Booking African hunts, firearms import services

Here for the meltdowns
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi-Force 44 works well but any line of solder that shows along a solder seam like the rib to bbl joint will remain bright silver colored even after rust bluing.
Lead/tin soft solder will darken after the trip through the rust blue process and not be noticable.

60/40 or 50/50 works fine for rib work. Most any hardware store has it. I think Brownells just wants to push their HF44 product and doesn't carry lead/tin solder.
Maybe the lead content bothers some people with the 'go-green' PC movement,,,,can you even sell it in CA?.

Gov't Warning...Don't chew on the soldering wire while working with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,
I think it's still available in CA, just not everywhere. The eco-nazi's are pushing to get the lead out of everything.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Parker tinned their baarrels befor soldering. It was a coat of pure tin, very thin, my old friend (gone) Bob in PA had a tin tank for dipping them.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Tinning is also a term for applying a very thin coat of soft solder. Usually to both parts before clamping together and then heating & joining.
Any Parkers I've ever had apart were only 'tinned' in the area of the contact between the ribs and the barrel surfaces, not the entire surface inbetween the ribs. Can't think of any make of bbl sets that looked covered entirely on purpose inside there.
Wouldn't be a bad idea to avoid rust though.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Kutter,
In the 1905 Parker damascus barrels I took apart, they were not tinned entirely between the ribs either. It's possible processes chnaged over the years. When I reassembled them, I fully "tinned" them with solder.

I did pull a late Hunter LC Smith apart that had fully "tinned" (obviously with solder) barrels between the ribs.

mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i don't think the melting point was as big of a consideration as the barrels, ribs,expanding and contracting together.lead was introduced in solder to prevent tin whiskers in electronic production.sight ramps are a little different than a two ribs with a nice air gap.i guess if what you use works then go with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

One of the strangest ones I've had was a set of LCS bbls that had obviously been reblued before and needed to be redone again. The ribs were loose in several spots so I decided to strip them and start over.

Just when I got them hot enough to start pulling the ribs free,,smoke started billowing from in between the ribs. I just kept going and stripped the ribs off with the smoke alarms going and the place filled with what smelled like wood smoke.

Somehow, someone in the past had redone the ribs and had used spacers made of wood instead of the metal ones originally used.

From the look what was left of them, they appeared to be nothing more than pieces of tongue depressors stacked together to the right thickness in several places. Not unlike many of the metal spacers that are thin pieces stacked & soldered together.

All I can figure is they must have done the final soldering up job with an electric soldering iron to avoid setting the wooden spacers ablaze. My torch wasn't so kind to them.

I do use a general purpose electric soldering gun to tin the ribs and most of the length of the tubes. It won't do the last/heaviest portion of the tubes. But it does a quick clean tinning job of the rest of it though. So with a bigger unit, I'd guess the whole job is possible.

You never know what you're going to find in there....

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.