May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (SKB, Marks_21, 2 invisible), 620 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,606
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#2837 09/24/06 05:59 PM
drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I have just bought a 1967 Superposed 12 ga salt wood gun that has been refinished by Browning. All the papers are there and all the receipts. I payed less that the cost of refinishing. It looks as close to new as a gun can be and it so tight as to be new. The repair lists "reharding receiver" as well as the other work.
How should this shotgun be valued? I suspect it is pretty close to new. Should I call 90% or as a 60% nonfactory job?
I suspect it is as close to a new Superposed that I'll ever have.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing
Sidelock
Sidelock

If its to original Browning specs, I would value it at 90% if its in mint condition. The gun has been refinished by Browning so originality isn't an issue.

Many brand new guns are refinished !!! guns get damaged in production, barrels dented, blueing scratched, stocks refinished, chequering re-done where mistakes are made, engraving mistakes re-cut etc etc etc...hopefully not all on the same gun though!

A pre-owned gun refinished by Browning wouldn't really bother me.

Was the gun refinished at the US Browning facility, or did it go back to the CustomShop in Belgium?

Jonty

If it's a grade 1 I'd shoot it and enjoy it. You don't want to know what one from the Belgium custom shot would cost, so you have a real keeper. If its pigeon or above you should note it and I'd say 90% is fair. GJ

90% It is a FACTORY re-built That takes little from original.

Sidelock
Sidelock

As I recall, the Blue Book values for a salt wood era gun are similar to non-salt wood guns if the gun was sent back to the factory for repairs. I recently purchased a 1968 Superposed Lightning in 20 gauge. Lovely little gun. It came with the original case and it looks about 95%, but probably could pass the straight-faced test of 100% by many dealers. The gun shows no salt problems at all and I suspect it may have gone back to Browning at some time, but I don't have any receipts. This is a RKST gun and I have heard that most of the guns with salt problems have the FK, although it seems to me I remember seeing at least one RK gun with salt damage at a gun show a few years back. Does anyone know if Browning stamped a mark anywhere on a gun if it was sent back to them for repairs? Much thanks.

Sidelock
Sidelock

saw a 20 gauge Diana, STRK,with just a hint of salt ("extremely subtle evidence of corrision at rear of action")go for 5250 (+15%) Saturday I suspect LTRK would have brought 8k or more.
Still a real nice one.
Sold a STRK grade 1 20 that was a bit salty for 2k a couple years ago after hunting with it for a year.
What grade/gauge drduc ?

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

2 of my Supers are salt era and flat knobs, with no sign of issues

Sidelock
Sidelock

Those barrels look strange, aren't they supposed to be next to each other instead of on top of each other? :-)

drduc Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

DEVREP,
My gun is a dead ringer for yours. Thanks for the info Guys.
According to the papers the repairs were done in San Francisco. At least that's where I remember the gun being sent.

Anything Worth Doing is Worth Overdoing

I love the Browning Superposed. One of my most favorite guns ever.

Nice pictures devrep

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.