May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jtplumb), 278 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,769
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
#226879 04/27/11 06:17 PM
guns Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

A friend has three vintage sxs's in his safe of which he thinks the wood to either side of the trigger guard at the rear of the receiver might have shrunk some and would like to know why. The metal is now proud of the wood in the area. Said he has several cans of silica gel drier sitting on the floor of the safe and puts them in the oven to bring them back to a pink color whenever they appear to look bluish. Would this shrinking condition be reversible? Thanks in advance. G.

Last edited by guns; 04/27/11 06:18 PM.
guns #226881 04/27/11 06:29 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

On vintage guns I think wood shrinkage has allot to do with the quality of the wood used when the gun was built....I have several 100 year old plus W&C Scotts that saw lots of use and have very little if any wood shrinkage then I've saw other guns with lots of shrinkage. Scott was known for having lots of cured stock blanks on hand.

I've heard some sellers mention glass bedding but I don't think wood shrinkage is reversible.

guns #226893 04/27/11 08:05 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I think it's from sitting inside the safe where it's dry. Wood will continue to dry out in a dry and warm atmosphere. Take it out and let it set in the house somewhere, or preferably out shooting and it should come back up.

guns #226897 04/27/11 08:30 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Guns:
Wood shrinks due to a loss of moisture content. This can occur from age, the atmosphere or both. Replace some moisture and the wood may well swell back up to its previous level. But some won't. And it is fairly unpredictable. "Quality" in wood is a variable term. Good stock wood is dried to a specific moisture content, but once the stock is made, it can swell or shrink depending on where the gun "lives." In Arizona, it will be one size. In Oregon, another.

I'd suggest your friend not be so manic about moisture in the safe. Just dry enough to prevent moisture condensation is dry enough.

Best, Kensal

guns #226915 04/27/11 11:38 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I take medicine for that.

guns #226942 04/28/11 09:23 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

This is my first post here but I may be able to provide some info in wood shrinkage. I also play stringed musical instruments (36 string chorded zither) and I can say for a fact that wood shrinks in dry atmosphere. What we musicians do is put a Humistat in the case of our fine instruments when humidity is low. If I don't do this my instrument goes extremely flat because of shrinkage. All a Humistat is, is a water tube that meters out moisture and gives the wood a drink. Am I going to put a humistat in my gun case? No! and I'm not taking the stocks off of my fine Remingtons for separate storage. What I'm saying is that we gun owners have a problem with storing our shotguns. We have two different materials steel and wood. One likes moisture the other doesn't. What I do is compromise. I store my fine shotguns in the open air and make sure they get a good wipe down with fine oil every so often. I also make sure that I don't let finger prints remain on the steel because of the acids in our skin oil.

Practice safe eating. Always use a condiment.
guns #226954 04/28/11 11:39 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I had a Manton percussion double some time ago that mustve been stored in a very hot dry attic for most of its retirement, I could see the shrinkage in the wood from across the room. I purchased it, took it home gave the wood an acetone bath and a Tru-Oil refinish and some of the shrinkage did go away, but not all. I only freshened it up and didnt try to really restore it. As it was, I used it for preserve p-burd hunting and at SXS events. It was a 9/10 gauge that had been honed out to an 8.5/9 gauge.
Steve

Approach life like you do a yellow light - RUN IT! (Gail T.)
guns #226955 04/28/11 11:48 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

So what is the ideal humidity for a gun safe? With a 24" Golden Rod mine is currently at 45%. I don't want the wood to shrink but I certainly don't want rust. What's the compromise?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
guns #226974 04/28/11 02:13 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I live in GA, leave my safe door open a lot of the time, and have never had a gun rust in the safe. I think rusting guns are overstated and Golden Rods way over valued.

Heat drives moisture out of wood. The moisture content inside a house is pretty low to begin with, but heat is the enemy. If a golden rod is warm, it can cause a problem, IMO. Not with your steel, but with your wood. Especially in a closed area, like a safe.

Back when I was working with wood that required a low MC, I spoke with the head of the UGA school that deals with such. He said the MC of wood (maple blocks for test purposes) treated (with poly) and untreated all came to the same level of MC after a year in an unheated but dry environment. Moisture molecules are so small they will penetrate any finish. This level was the ambient MC of the air, which inside a structure is much lower than the outside.

Any time you have dew on your lawn, the MC has reached 100%. But you don't get dew inside a shed. Lower MC.

Last edited by Genelang; 04/28/11 02:15 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wood also changes dimension differently in different directions--measured across the grain it may shrink differently than the length of the grain. The fact that one gun shrank significantly and the other didn't maight also indicate something about the grain flow of the wood there. I recently worked on a factory beretta stock that had grain flow in the wrist at almost 90 degrees to the length of the gun! (it had 3 steel pins through the wrist from the factory) It was a refinish because water just from hunting in wet weather had gotten in and ruined the thin finish and warped the head of the stock--I'm quite certain the stock would not have moved nearly as much had the grain flow been better.

Last edited by David Furman; 04/28/11 04:29 PM.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.