May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jolly Bill, Stanton Hillis, skeettx, WJW), 337 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,812
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Recoil Rob #225538 04/13/11 12:07 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Well, I found a new DR-85 on eBay with a CD for $20 so I gave it a go. Something to practice with as I drive around in the car. Gotta start somewhere, probably pick up an OLt if I see a good one.

BTW an acquaintance mentioned also having a crow call. I have heard of them being used for locating turkeys but what use would they have for ducks?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Recoil Rob #225550 04/13/11 01:49 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Dustin,

I think I still own the first DR-85 I bought and it's still got the guts in it. I've owned a dozen various Haydel models over the years and never lost the interior of any of them. Just personal experience which is all I can ever offer on anything as I'm by far no expert.

I like good guns and I like good decoys, that's very true. But I like a duck call that sounds like a duck and that you can kill ducks blowing. These big price single reeds, unless you're really a duck caller, won't sound much like a duck when you first start running air through them. With a DR-85, almost anybody (with some practice) can get a duck-like noise to come out of them.

I don't blow them because they're cheap, I blow them because they produce success. I've got all the fancy wood, checkered, carved, metal reed stuff too. But when I put something on my lanyard that I know is going to produce ducks over the decoys it's almost always a Haydel product.

This past season was 25 years on the water for me, calling with success for 23 of those years. I'm not saying I know what I'm talking about, I never claim to be an expert. I'm just saying I've been at it for quite awhile, seem to have a pretty good tally of birds killed at the end of every season, hence feel like I must be doing something right.

Best Regards,
Destry

P.S. As far as cheap black decoys, the finest goose floaters I've ever seen where ones they used on Reelfoot Lake that were made from empty freon cans dipped in tar. Geese would fly over 3 dozen G&H floaters to land in a dozen of those things. Just something about the way they sat on the water, I've never seen anything like it. If I could get some today I'd be using them, not because they're fancy but because they work. And this is a guy who has 2 dozen hand carved wooden floaters......

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Recoil Rob #225551 04/13/11 01:51 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

P.S. to Rob: I carry a crow call when I'm marsh hunting for ducks or field hunting for geese because there are always crows around. If you'll do a little calling when the fowl aren't flying, a lot of the time you'll get a shot. Every duck hunter should kill every crow they have a chance to fire upon, they're a major predator of waterfowl eggs and even the young birds after they hatch.

MarketHunter #225563 04/13/11 03:39 PM
Sidelock
Online Content
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: MarketHunter
P.S. to Rob: I carry a crow call when I'm marsh hunting for ducks or field hunting for geese because there are always crows around. If you'll do a little calling when the fowl aren't flying, a lot of the time you'll get a shot. Every duck hunter should kill every crow they have a chance to fire upon, they're a major predator of waterfowl eggs and even the young birds after they hatch.

And, if you like to eat pecans and peanuts! We pile'm up 120 at the time in the pecan orchards. Huge fun with a Super Fox.

SRH

May God bless America and those who defend her.
Recoil Rob #225568 04/13/11 04:40 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I hunted with some of the best callers on the Missouri river during the 60s, 70s. Ralph Kohler, Jim Kelly, Jim Eagleton and Calvin Metzler. None of them used anything but a single reed call. Either Lohman or Mallardtone were the favorites. Most of the calling was minimal. In my humble opinion overcalling runs more ducks out of the county than otherwise.

tight lines Jim Sears

Recoil Rob #225572 04/13/11 05:07 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I'll go with Jim on this one. The first call that I learned to blow properly on was a Mallardtone-5, which I believe actually cost $5.00, jeez, I must be getting old.... I then went on to a couple Olts and tried a bunch of others, but in the early 90's was able to try an Iverson call which belonged to a friend,and have not found anything better. I use the Championship model which has a flat single reed. They were not cheap but worth every penny.Unfortunately they are no longer made and rarely come up on Ebay. I tried a few double reed calls but always found them difficult to blow. I'm sure that some of them are probably fine. Just remember that the air comes from your guts not your cheeks.
Good luck.

Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought stupid,than open it and confirm.
Recoil Rob #225575 04/13/11 06:01 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

I lost the reed holder on my Mallardtone last fall. Called the company, and they sent me a replacement part free - wouldn't let me pay for it.

+1 for Mallardtone

Recoil Rob #225805 04/16/11 03:50 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

turdugs,

Mallardtone makes the best crow call I've personally blow, it's what I always carry.

Destry

P.S. Olt has been mentioned several times here. If I was going to blow a black Olt I'd search and find a hard rubber D-2 Old Style with the keyhole plug. And only one with a black hard rubber reed, the more modern white mylar reeds don't sound nearly as good. As far as Olt's go, these were as good as they got.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.