April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (susjwp, Roundsworth, Southern Sport), 406 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
tchark Offline OP
OP Offline

This is my first post, so pardon anything that's not usual. I'm thinking about finding a 12 ga. in the 6-6lb. 8 oz. range. With double triggers, straight stock, sxs. Less than $1500 would work with my budget. Currently shoot an Ugartechea 20 that carries well, but is too lite. Any suggestions would be welcome.
tchark

Boxlock
Boxlock

Sidelock
Sidelock

stick a tape adhered wheel weight on the barrels near the muzzles on the bottom. It doesn't take much near the muzzles and it really changes the dynamics of the gun. If it fixes your problem with "too lite", you can make or have made a conformal weight, out of steel, that fills the shape between the barrels on the bottom rib. This can be blued and attached with something more permanent like clear silcone to make it all but undetectable.

Sidelock
Sidelock

For that kind of money, you're looking at a boxlock nonejector. I have a couple Army & Navy 12's, 28" (ejector guns) that fit your description--they weigh 6 1/4, so you should be able to find something.

Contact Stephen Cobb over in Bedminster NJ (see advertisers on this board listing). He has an absolutel wonderful W.W. Greener 12 ga. 26" light game gun for sale. I saw and inspected it at the Stamford CT East Coast Fine Arms Show last weekend. Fills the bill exactly as you described for weight, etc. KBM

There are lots of English guns that will fall in that weight range esp. boxlock non-ejectors, which tend to be lighter than sidelocks (and cheaper...).

For $1500 you should get a clean plain English gun. If you broaden your search to include German, you will get a clean fancy gun. Belgian, you will get ditto for $1000; and Spanish, for $750.

Of the American guns, you may find a Fox or an Ithaca that light but most vintage American 12 ga guns are heavier. Would pretty much have to be a lower, the way things are going. You might swing an A grade Fox for that money though.

Before I went for a 12, I would think about getting a 16 ga in a lightweight though...it'll be a stronger gun and it won't kick as hard. Important for fast second shot on grouse.

Surprised you find a 20 not enough gun. For close grouse work, 20 should be plenty. Maybe it's a function of fit?

doublegunhq.com
Fine English, American and German Double Shotguns and Rifles

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.