May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (RWG), 992 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,528
Posts545,861
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#222836 03/23/11 04:42 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

At the local gun show last weekend, I came across a gentleman that was selling one of these.
Neat little 16 gauge in pretty nice shape. He really didn't know what he had, he just knew it was French.
I didn't buy or even make an offer (way out of my league). Stock seemed short and pad was disintegrating,
otherwise had pretty, straight-grained wood. I didn't inspect too closely, just picked it up and marveled at it.

Don't want to get into the plus and minuses of sliding breech guns, but just wondered how rare of a bird was this?

Seemed like it would've made a handy little woodcock gun.
-jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, check out Charlin "Le Superfixe" 12 on GunBroker. It's the only one I've seen (which I suppose proves very little) but assume it's probably same model as your gunshow 16. Been there a while and the price is dropping. The normally streamlined look of the breechblock on a Charlin sxs is lost with the deep frame on the stackbarrel. It's not in the '51 catalog (all the O/Us there have a toplever and sliding lock hood like Rem 32/3200 and a host of others). You mention a short stock; the stock on the Gunbroker item "looks" short also. Do you have a sliding breech gun? I have a very light Charlin 12 I got from the late Thad Scott.

jack

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hey Jack,
Interesting. Just going from memory, the 16 I saw seemed
newer than the GB Superfixe. The 16 had Charlin only stamped
in the middle of the top lever. No model name was on the top lever.
Also condition of the metal seemed much better--wasn't
frosted like the GB gun. Wood on the 16 had the same lovely red hue as the GB
gun--very pretty. The guy selling it mentioned that the gun was part of an estate
collection that was mostly rifles.

I don't own a sliding breech gun, in fact know very little about them.
I do have a fascination with the mechanics of the action (as well as the MF Ideal action) though.

A guy never knows what will be around the next corner at a gun
show. Guess that's why I go.
-jim

Sidelock
Sidelock

A Charlin - sxs made for the Maharajah of Patiala

Charlin, designed and patented by Ribe

Charlin - Superfix

There are so many "copies" of the sliding breech, it is hard to keep track of them. This is true of both Darne and Charlin guns. The Charlin o/u guns are not common here, but they are not uncommon in France. Many were produced during the 1960's - 1970's.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have reservations about the originality of the wood on the Superfix. Apparent girth at wrist; some shadow "crevasses" at the edge of inletting on both stock and forend; the strange proportions in profile of a stock with a very usual 14+ LOP-- all raise some questions. I had not noticed the corrosion "frosting" of the frame but certainly apparent if you take the finish in Pete's photo as normative.

jack

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete, I think your dates may be off. I have an article on Charlin, in French, which states that they went out of business in 1968. The same article refers to the Maharajah of Patiala, and states that Charlin made him a pair of guns.

I have a Darne pamphlet from 1977 which shows 3 different models of conventional (top lever/break action) OU's.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Good Shooting
T.C.
The Green Isle

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.