May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ted Schefelbein, oskar, LGF), 236 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,738
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
calebg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I'm looking for a good book or two on German doubles, both pre- and post-War. Do you guys have any you'd recommend?

I don't know why, but I have a hankering for a shotgun built like a very small piece of personal artillery, complete with cheekpiece and sling. Kind of disgusting, I know...

Last edited by calebg; 02/25/11 12:48 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Now that you are out of the closet on this, it becomes much easier. My personal piece of artillery is 16ga with 29 1/2" barrels and weighs an unbearable 5lbs 10 including the cheekpiece and sling swivels. I hardly ever see the cheekpiece while swinging on quail and the engraving on the sidelocks and trigger guard are not heavy either. The sling goes on whenever needed on a long trudge but comes off otherwise.

Last edited by Jerry V Lape; 02/25/11 12:47 PM.
calebg Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Jerry V Lape
My personal piece of artillery is 16ga with 29 1/2" barrels and weighs an unbearable 5lbs 10 including the cheekpiece and sling swivels.

That's exactly what I want!

The trouble I'm running into is that the guns seem to either command a premium for a well known name (Merkel, Sauer, Simson, etcetera), or they're unsigned entirely. The unsigned ones seem to go very cheaply, so they're attractive from that perspective. But, I also don't want to end up with a piece of junk. Given that I don't run across such guns at my local shop, examining the gun and buying on its apparent merits is a little complicated.

Basically, I'm looking for a primer on how to judge unsigned guns without being able to physically touch them. I know that's always tough, but I'd like to stack the odds in my favor as much as possible. I'd also like to learn about the German gun business at the same time.

Last edited by calebg; 02/25/11 12:55 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Newsletters from German Firearms or Gun Association (can't remember the name but they have a website) is likely the best source. Google or Bing name Norbert Klups he has couple out there one on drillings and one on double rifles. I learned couple of things by flipping through pages of drilling tome at local Borders Books. I didn't know they made some with bronze actions which were French grayed.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can find an extensive list here:
http://www.germanguns.com/books.html

Klupps book on drillings is very good.

Also read a lot of posts by Raimey, Jani and others here:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: PeteM
You can find an extensive list here:
http://www.germanguns.com/books.html Yes!

Klupps book on drillings is very good.No!

Also read a lot of posts by Raimey, Jani and others here:
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=9&page=1

Pete

I wholeheartedly disagree! This book is rather superficial and often completely wrong on older guns.
But, John Walter's "Rifles of the World" is even worse when it comes to continental guns.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I'm not sure of the references but John Walter is for the most part spot on.

You'd probably have to divide the search in time periods. If I were looking for a quality German longarm, I'd want upper and lower scears, tubes by one of the Kelber boys, knitted by Robert Schlegelmich pre-1924 and engraving by either Hugo Kolb or Fritz Heimbeck. I can't say that the time period that both Kolb and the Kelber boys were engaged actually overlapped. So being more realistic maybe tubes knitted and profiled by Robert Schlegelmilch but here we might also be looking at a Daly.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

This list is out of date but a few good ones here.

Deuts ARMS OF THE WORLD - 1911 DBI Books, 1972 FN Soft Cover
che Waffen und Muntionsfabriken: German Weapons and Ammunition Manufacturing Plants: Catalog of Ammunition Gun Digest Chicago ca 1960
Genschow, Gustav & Co. Hamburg, 1929 catalog AKA "GECO"
Frank, George catalog AKA "WUM" Waffen und Munitions (Guns & Ammo)
Kettner, Eduard Jagdwaffenkunde - Ein Lehrbuch für Jäger und Waffenfreunde Mühlheim Okahandja 1984. 192
Kind, Albrech catalog AKA "AKAH" 1926 Germany
Koch, George, Die Jagdgewhere der Gegenwart, Weimar 1891
Lampel, Walter / Mahrholdt, Richard Waffen - Lexikon - Für Jäger und Schützen Mchn. Mayer 1965
Lampel, Walter Richard Mahrholdt: Waffenlexikon für Jäger und Schützen. BLV, München 1981.
Mundt, Karl DIE WELT DER WAFFE-Suhl 1925
Mahrholdt, Richard. Handbuch fur Waffenfreunde Innsbruck 1929
Mahrholdt, Richard. WAFFENLEXIKON: FUR JAGER UND SCHUTZEN. Munchen, Mayer, 1937
Mahrholdt, Richard. WAFFENLEXIKON: FUR JAGER UND SCHUTZEN. Munchen, Mayer, 1952
Matschoss, Dr. E.C. 50 Jahre Deutsche Waffen-und-Munitionsfabriken, Aktiengesellschaft Berlin 1939
Popp, H. Waffenkunde und Schiesslehre für Jäger Neumann-Neudamm, Melsungen, 1979.
Sell, Albert Die Maschinelle Gewehrfabrikation Suhl, 1927
Zeiske, Wolfgang Waffe und Schusz Deutscher Bauern Verlag Np, (Berlin) (1956)

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.