May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (btbell, PALUNC, 2 invisible), 406 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,822
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Forend is original to the gun, refinished to match the new butt. Barrels are stamped 3" chambers.

The "Pit" part of this project was the barrel work that had to be preformed. Gun was shooting left barrel 8" low and 8" to the right. Right barrel about half of that to the left. Looked into Lapping the barrels but didnt want to ruin the chokes. I took the $$ plunge and had the barrels taken apart and put back together correctly (strip and relay). Galazan wouldn't touch the barrels. Kirk Merrington was game with no guarantee of results(for the lapping). Les Pittman said that he would correct the problem and that the barrels would come back to me, better than Winchester. Gun now throws about a 50/50 pattern, dead center.

gjw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wonderful gun!!! What a looker!! Glad everything worked out for you!! A guy would be proud to shoot this baby!!

I hope you have many happy and healthy years shooting her.

All the best!

Greg

Gregory J. Westberg
MSG, USA
Ret
Sidelock
Sidelock

Nice! I've had the pleasure of shooting two different long barrel 20ga 21's. Great dynamics, great triggers, great everything.

Sort of a dream gun for me...

Looks like a real successful project.

Kudos to you and to Mr. Pittman.

"The price of good shotgunnery is constant practice" - Fred Kimble
Sidelock
Sidelock

Great gun Bob. Not many smiths would take on that point of impact work in that manner (the proper manner IMO). I've used Les for a stock bend when he was working out of his garage in La Habra.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: AlanCope
http;//wwwphotobucket.com
http://s1196.photobucket.com/albums/aa401/alancope/

Here are seven 21 20s that were at our New Years meat shoot.

I hope the picture comes up I think they are a real go to gun.

Alan Cope

Alan, could you please post your pictures, the link you supplied is for an album and a password (your password) is necessary to view your images. Thanks, Bob

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Chuck H
Great gun Bob. Not many smiths would take on that point of impact work in that manner (the proper manner IMO). I've used Les for a stock bend when he was working out of his garage in La Habra.

I agree Chuck. I agonized over the correct repair on this gun. I ultimately felt that anything less than a strip and relay would have ruined a fairly scarce Model 21. Who needs another 30" 20 gauge Skeet Gun. Screwing with the chokes to walk the pattern left and right would have left me with nothing but a few thousandth's constriction.

Have you been out to Les's new place in the desert? Just a short 2 mile jog off highway 138, on a rain rutted road (full of Quail) to his new abode and workshop. On a positive note, It's the only place you can get Les and you can pattern right in his backyard.

Bob

Sidelock
Sidelock

You mention the forearm is original to your gun. What type of recoil abutment is installed? If one isn't visible when the stock is removed is there a screw between the ejector cocking levers?
thanks,
Mike

Model 21 Fans Stop By at:
http://members.tripod.com/bluepike/
Sidelock
Sidelock

Bob,
I haven't been out to Les' place in Phelan yet. Maybe I'll use him for some work soon. Finding good smiths is hard to do.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I find it hard to believe that Kirk Merrington would even consider the lapping method, since he makes his living taking barrels apart. Changing point of impact when relaying a shotgun is not rocket science. I had my Model 21 Trap barrels relaid and refinished a year or two ago for $750. Some gunsmiths make more of it than it is and charge much more, for no reason other than that they can.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Seems to me that I heard years ago that 30 inch M21 20 gauges were subject to a peculiar barrel "flip". Anyone else ever hear that? I'm sure not knocking this gun - it's a beauty. Wish my 2 bbl skeet grade gun was a nice!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.