April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
1 members (fab500), 401 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,481
Posts545,233
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

I have been to Argentina twice. Once to Estancia Santa Anna, once to Los Chanares. Los Chanares was about 50% higher and worth it. Short drives to the dove fields, lots of birds. The food was very good. The accomodations were about at the level at a Motel 6. The service was great but the facility was bare bones and the interior walls and doors thin. Certainly wouldn't want a room next to a pair newlyweds on their honeymoon.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: treblig1958
Okay Ill just flat out ask you guys, nothing specific but what was the total cost for some of these trips? A range would be good from low to high, but Im starting to do the math and its starting to get a little pricey.

A) Under $5,000
B) Over $5,000 but under $10,000
C) Greater than $10,000 but not quite $15,000

Am I in the ball park here or am I still low.

I've always figured Five Grand per head including Air (cheap seats of course) for the 4 day dove hunt. The 'good deals' mostly aren't. The shells are a Rip! They have to make some money somewhere, though. Enjoy the shooting, but limit yourself to a case in the morning and one more in the afternoon if you are still standing...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

We spent 5 days hunting ducks,pidgens and doves in August of 10 and spent 6000 inc air. Luis provided 2500 shells. Cordoba is cheaper but my body won't handle that volume of shooting.

bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

More than likely you are going to pen a check for about $2500 to the outfitter, whether it be Trek, SyC Sporting, Charles Arndt at Fin and Feathers or the group that bought Zeke Hayes business( I think the brothers Hayes went full time into farming maybe to me contracts with the Chinese?). I wonder when we'll see a China-man in the field shooting? Anyway airfare will be on top of that. If you are doing mixed bag expect to drive a bit as the ducks and Perdiz will be close but you may have to drive to a dove roost. Maybe on the 1st time only doves will suffice, noting a case is 20 boxes. Rent a 20 bore and remember that you aren't going to begin to make a dent in the population. Usually you'll be off target the 1st event after the flight and all so go ahead, shoot as fast as you can and get it out of your system. I think it is the 3rd event that on the average you will have the highest percentages so then you can make ever shot count. Have the clothes and stuff that you intend to shoot with in the plane so that when your baggage goes to Mozambique you'll be ready to shoot when you arrive.

There are deals from time to time usually in late August or September when there's an opening but the last minute airfare will eat into the saving.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

If something looks to good to be true......it probably is.
Regardless of your pick in Argentina or Uruguay use a US travel agent.
Times are tough, lot's of guys operating, and what once was a solid operation could be a wreck this season.
Go through Detail, or other reputable US agent and you'll be on the safe side if things take a wrong turn.

Regarding costs: A good advice for all travel is take half the clothing you were planning to take and twice the money smile

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Henrique Menezes

Regarding costs: A good advice for all travel is take half the clothing you were planning to take and twice the money smile

That's great.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Last went in August '08. $5000 covered everything including extra shells. We shopped the airline tickets hard, way ahead of time, and got them for about $1000, round trip from Jacksonville, FL. Sixteen of us went together and rented the whole La Paloma Riverside lodge.

Anybody remember which one of the most notable outfitters had the tragic accident in '08 when a truckload of shooters being driven to (or from) the field had a wreck and a shooter was killed? I seem to remember he was from Georgia, but don't remember which outfitter it was.

Stan

May God bless America and those who defend her.
tw Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

I was going to send this as a PM, but my mouse decided to give itself the finger just now and so I'll just post it.

Irrespective of the outfitter, if you figure roughly $1K/day you should get very close to reality. Some shoots can be as small as 4's and others 6's, but by & large a grand a day will cover it, all inclusive. Having said that, it is with the proviso that you don't go 'nuts' shooting and of course that is exactly what the outfitters hope you will do for the simple reason that is where they make their money, on the shells. Shell bills can get very expensive and the shooters frightfully pummeled and not become one iota the better shot for the punishment. If you take a gun that fits and shoot reasonable shot charges in some moderation you can have great sport and become a much better field shot in the process. To me, that normally means a flat[10boxes] in the morning and another in the afternoon, if you are only shooting dove. I have shot much more that that on some occasions, but I'm not mad at them. That assumes you ask the outfitter to place you somewhere that the shooting will be both sporting & difficult or at least challenging; that way you can practice and learn to make those field shots found most difficult. You are not going to eat all the birds shot. I have never really understood those that wish their pics taken by a 'pile' of birds tho I've certainly seen it done, inclusive of even being in some of them, only because I was there. I personally look at it as bad ecology and if it involves roost shooting even worse as that could become killing their 'golden geese'. That is a VERY personal perspective, but I hold it nonetheless. There was a bird decline around Cordoba some years back, a serious decline. Today it seems pretty OK and probably more birds or at least as many as 25 years previous. According to some folks I know who have been going down there [around Cordoba, in this case] to shoot for over 50 years, it is presently as good as ever. I dunno, I wasn't there in days that far back.

Bolivia is closer and less wear & tear on your person flying from Miami. It may also prove less expensive from an air fare perspective. As far as I know all the shooting will be from 'camps', but very nice ones. All, also require travel time to the shooting destinations, either charter flights or lorrie travel. Roads in Bolivia are at best thrilling. Some outfitters as stated earier, do package deals & it will be hard, tho not always impossible, to beat the prices they have locked in for airline seats. Miami customs can be a PITA or not. Personally never had a hitch, but have seen others, inclusive of some traveling w/me, subjected to major silly that resulted in their missing connecting flights and all of that. Ten to Fifteen years ago the shells were higher in Bolivia. Not anymore. The range previously stated is the norm anywhere down there, just know beforehand what that cost is and exactly how many, if any, are included w/your deal.

I think it is well worth staying at one of the many estancia's on bird ventures south [Argentina & Uruguay] and that can mean added travel time to the shooting fields. Uruguay has great roads. Argentina has good roads, but police checks also, when you are traveling into some areas by lorrie. It's a personal choice you have to make. Estancia food, remoteness and history all contribute to the quality of the misadventure, IMHO. I like the winters there, others from here do not. Again, it is a personal choice. Winter can be cold & wet, but there are no bugs and the winds are normally blowing making for better sport and some serious pass shooting, if you are taking only birds in following winds.

If you wish to kill birds and not simply hit them, take fully choked guns & shoot #7.5 shot or #7's which is oft available, if you ask beforehand. You do not need a 12ga. to kill dove, but you do need choke to take them cleanly at any significant range. 25grams of #7's from a 20ga. will kill any dove you are entitled to. I do not mind using 6's when available and they take the pigeon & paloma grandes with good authority in winter winds.

Lastly, I would suggest that you weigh putting a group of known friends together to go on a shoot vs. just filling a spot in an available time frame or slot w/an outfitter. In the former, you have the opportunity for both comraderie and control and in the latter it's a crap shoot. One premadonna or jerk can make it a serious bust for all. That's best avoided, whenever possible.

These are all personal opinions and observations. Take them for what they are worth. And as any outfitter will or should advise you, anything & everything not specifically included in writing is an extra. Doing your own permits and such, while possible, is not generally worthwhile nor cost effective; better to let those who are doing it routinely handle those issues for you. Take your own guns, if you have them. What's the point of using some off the shelf well used semi-auto? It defeats the whole purpose of taking the trip, unless it's just to shoot a lot of ammunition or kill a lot of birds. Most estancias will prepare some 'horse divers' from dove and most will do admirable work with the perdiz, if you are hunting them, as they are highly valued as game birds while the dove are mostly seen as pests. It is also possible to pre-arrainge your choice of meals w/some estancias, should you wish to do so. Any of the better outfitters will go out of their way to see your needs are met; they live off of repeat business and satisfied clients. Courtesy and respect always bring the same in return, at least that has been my experience.

Sorry for the length of this post, but it sounds as you have many questions. Perhaps some answered here that were not addressed in other posts.

Kind regards, tw

Sidelock
Sidelock

tw great post. I would suggest that for a first time shooter that they try to go with someone who has been there before. Many who post here have gone several times and if you want to go most would be glad for the company. Having an old hand to go with makes the trip better for both. He can calm you down so that you do not go wild and you will give him the energy of a first timer which I am sure he has long forgotten. He can show you the ropes and you do not have to worry about fitting in and doing the right thing.

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I agree there that probably would be a good idea Jon.
All of my hunting buddies just want to stay home and hunt the same old woods. Heck, after trying for years to get these guys to go up to South Dakota, I just gave up and went up there myself. To get these guys together to go to South America, oh brother, I'll be in my grave before that happens !!

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.