April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
3 members (Argo44, Mark II, 1 invisible), 459 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,473
Posts545,161
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

While "wait time" is perhaps a bit unpleasant, I've gotten used to it. Whenever I send a newly acquired SxS to my gunsmith for restoration, I anticipate return in about 12 months. The same for restock jobs.

Most of us own multiple shotguns that we can use while another is being repaired. It now seems that I almost always have an older SxS in a shop, somewhere. The delay doesn't really bother me, as it is what I've come to expect. It is part of the culture of hunting with classic SxS's; and a good rationale/excuse for owning a "few extra's."

I prefer to deal with competent and reputable craftsmen, even if it takes longer. The fact that they have a long backlog means that others also treasure their workmanship. It probably also means that there is more work than the existing supply of good gunsmiths can handle. We do NEED more good gunsmiths!

JERRY

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jerry has it right, the good ones are worth waiting for, waited three years on a Lefever restoration and restocking, worth every cent and minute!

Craig

Sidelock
Sidelock

While I agree that good craftsmen are always in demand, I've found nearly all of gunsmiths that I've used promise one thing and deliver another, in one form or another. With my guns, it has always been late delivery, some not by much, some several times the promised period. I start calling the gunsmith well ahead of the promised date, because I know I'm long forgotten. I get the usual exchange of promises, I wait more and call again to remind them again. I get the feeling that many gunsmiths manage their work helter skelter. Others show you work examples and deliver something else.

It's a really frustrating experience most of the time for me.

There has been one exception to all this and I consider him a friend.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Another couple options might be Show Me Gunstocks or Macon Gunstock both of which are located in Warsau, MO with Wenigs. I do know that for a semi-inletted stock, their time was less than Wenig's. I believe they both also do the complete work. May give them a call.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Try mtcustomguns.com

Last edited by Sliver; 01/15/11 02:53 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck the hard part for the gunsmith is that if you have a project going that will take 6 to 9 months to finish, and someone comes in wanting a recoil pad put on, you do the pad for the cash flow to pay the electric bill. That probably isn't what a 'smith really wants to do, but if he works on only your project till it's done he'll go out of buisnes. Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Chuck the hard part for the gunsmith is that if you have a project going that will take 6 to 9 months to finish, and someone comes in wanting a recoil pad put on, you do the pad for the cash flow to pay the electric bill. That probably isn't what a 'smith really wants to do, but if he works on only your project till it's done he'll go out of buisnes. Mark

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,
I know what they do and why. Like I said, it's frustrating to do a deal with someone that doesn't do what they say they will. Often, customers wanting major work, slide so far back behind those recoil pads,trigger jobs, and other quick fixes, that they are never serviced. There have been plenty of those stories here.

As The Duke said: "a man is his word".

Sidelock
Sidelock

My LAST experience, and it will be my last, start to finish for a Box Lock restock took almost four years. I provided a semi inletted blank, sent it off and waited...and waited..after a little over 3 years, I went and got it. The box I shipped it in hadnt even been opened. I called Wenigs, got a price and a delivery date. Wenigs was about a month later than the date they quoted. I wont do it again as I am now 76, and would like to see projects finished while I am around to enjoy them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

CHUCK (and others),

I understand your frustration, but it is because you don't completely understand "GUNSMITH LANGUAGE." There is a secret code, that I will reveal....if you promise not to tell anyone.

If you know the gunsmith well, and he has done work for you in the past, you take his estimated time required (in months) and DOUBLE IT. He's not intending to lie to you, he just assumes you know the secret code.

If this is the first time you have dealt with a gunsmith, you should simply TRIPLE his time estimate.

SEE, its really quite simple...

JERRY

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.