May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Craigster, WJW, Jolly Bill), 323 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,768
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#212788 01/11/11 03:09 PM
tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Can anyone provide any information on the history of this company (or region of France) and what time period they provided walnut blanks etc.? Also, what is the primary attraction other then it appears to be dense and since it hasn't been imported for sometime its certainly aged.

Just curious because I've seen the name pop up quite a bit lately and it seems to fall into the holy grail category of wood.

foxes rule
Sidelock
Sidelock

Tut:
Mr. Teyssier had a stock mill in Breve, France, and supplied much high-grade wood to the trade (especially the UK) in the 19th and early 20th centuries. However, two world wars and the attendant destruction have pretty much eliminated the French as a source of fine walnut. The stuff of Teyssier's mill is still looked upon with great nostalgia. And rightly so.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi:

There is a person who is attempting to sell some of this wood on E Bay. From what I have seen and the price of it, it would not be my choice at the asking price price!

I am not an expert in wood but I think that there are better choices available than what this person is offering.

Perhaps some people who have a better knowledge of fine wood can inform me about this wood that is for bid.

Franchi

Sidelock
Sidelock

I posted a questin regarding the ebay seller who is advertising teyssier wood at the moment (or at least recently), J.Earl Bridges. I recieved generally good feedback at that point from several people who had purchased wood from him. I corresponded with him and his wife and found them to be very helpful and honest. I eneded up purchasing a relatively inexpensive blank from them, and I was very happy with it. From the pictures I saw and from talking to them I did not find the higher grade wood they had all that apealing, but the piece I bought had wonderful reddish color and was just exactly the density I was looking for--they actually went so far as to weigh 5 or 6 blanks for me so that I could find one just the way I wanted to balance a particularly light gun. I haven't used it yet, but the wood appears good, nice tight grain, good color, relatively even very subtle figure on both sides, etc. I've purchased or shopped for wood from 3 or 4 of the "name" walnut vendors, and I have to say dealing with them was probably the best--maybe a tie for the best--out of all of them. I would buy from them again.

A link to my post from last spring:
teyssier walnut post

Last edited by David Furman; 01/11/11 09:08 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Ici a French Source of fine walnut.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

JayCee:
Thanks a bunch; the blanks pictured are everything anyone could possibly want in a fine gunstock. I've contacted them for prices; have you dealt with these people for wood?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Craig, you are welcome.

I have not dealt with them. I do not remember where I got their particulars.

JC

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
Sidelock

J. Earl has been selling this walnut for 20 yr or more. When he was in Denver he had a hugh stock pile in his basement. He is good people and honest.

tut Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Just was wondering more about the Company (Teyssier) itself, its origin, and why that particular region in France was so highly known for growing such great wood. I agree with Doug in that some of the wood (seen on Ebay) seems to be what would be appropriate for a very early Fox high grade gun (swirly smoke and dense). I wonder if Teyssier was a supplier for Ansley back in the early 1900's if indeed the company was in business during that time frame.

PS. I did find the following as well and it certainly appears the fellow selling the current inventory on Ebay has lead and interesting life and has a loving wife for sure.

http://jearlbridgescustomrifles.com/about_us

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Craig Libhart
JayCee:
Thanks a bunch; the blanks pictured are everything anyone could possibly want in a fine gunstock. I've contacted them for prices; have you dealt with these people for wood?

Exactly what I was thinking. Please let me know what you find out, Craig.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.