April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
2 members (FlyChamps, Fudd), 417 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,480
Posts545,230
Members14,410
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi there,

I have a old Spanish hammer gun in 9mm.
As told Fiocchi has them, or use to have them, as well some other Italian makers.
I recently got a couple of boxes from Rio, maybe you can get them in the US.

Sidelock
Sidelock

You can look at cartridge dimensions here:
http://stevespages.com/page8d.htm

The 38 Special looks promising as does the 38 Long Colt. The real issue may become the base.

The other alternative is to have a chamber insert made up.
http://www.mcace.com/shotguninserts.htm

Ace made an insert for my drilling 9.3x82r so I could fire 22 hornet in it. SAAMI spec for the 22 hornet is 25,000 CUP. You have to call him on a Sunday morning to speak directly with him.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Don't know if they're available in Portugal, but Speer makes capsules for loading 38 Special shot shells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=313962

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you checked MagTech. I seem to recall that at one time at least they listed the 9.1x40, but coul be wrong, might have been something else. I do remember they had brass for some small shotshell. Worth a look at this would appear to be ideal.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

MagTech 9.1 berdan primed brass was available from Graf's. Since they changed to LP primed cases they have not listed the 9.1. They are however listed on the MagTech site as for LP
Cheers,
Laurie

falling block
MikeV Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, Thanks. This info is helpful.
Mike

MikeV Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Laurie, Thanks!
I will order some brass today! It sounds like the best way to go.
I may also try to make up some shells using the .357 max case.

Mike

Sidelock
Sidelock

No-one makes .360 centrefire shotgun cartridges any more to my knowledge. They are very much collectors items. There was the .360 No.5 Rook Rifle and .380 Rook Rifle rounds that were made in shot versions; I have some in my collection but they will be about 100 years old.

What make is the gun? And what do the proof marks say? This could be a rare and valuable item. If it is .360 shotgun, I would suspect that it is likely to have been black powder proofed only. All the bolt action ones like the Webley were for the 9mm. rimfire also called the No.3 bore Garden Gun. Fiocchi and Hirtenberger are about the only people who make them any more. Any newish Eley 9mm. stuff is likely to be by Fiocchi.

I suspect it should be easy to make ammo for it by sizing down some sort of pistol case. Photos of proof marks may help to solve the mystery. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike
In the good old days– before the all wise British Government banned pistols (now only the criminals have pistols) I had a 357 Ruger blackhawk with 8” barrels. I actually had authorisation to use it for shooting pests with shot. I understand shotshells were available in the States but over here I could never get them. I used 357 cases rather than 38sp as you could get a little more shot in. Even then it was probably only ˝ that of a 9mm garden gun – so it was a very light load. It was Ok on the rats to 10yrds. I used No9 shot as that was the smallest I could get – the little .22 dust shot is around No12 I understand. I used beer mats to cut the driving wad from – again to save space and a thin card to hold the shot in. I sealed it with either silicone or sealing wax. I understand that in the states you can get domed plastic caps to increase the capacity a little.
I cut down on the powder from a bullet load – as that takes up a great deal of the case capacity – I can’t remember now how much I put in but it was probably half.
I am sure with the thin wad and reduced powder you will have very low pressure and the 357 is going to be shorter than 1 ˝ “ so it will be a light load for the gun.
I just looked at an old 38 case and it looks like it is .376 – so that is just a little slack but you do need to be able to drop it in easily. I would guess – if you use brass – it will fire form to the chamber – the worst that can happen is the case splits and you loose pressure. The internal measurement was around .336 so ideal match for the bore.
If the rim is a reasonable fit then I would go for – experiment a little and have fun but don’t hold us responsible for the advice!!
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

I would try the 357 Maximum case and the speer shot capsules, should be about right with the capsule not seated very far into the case, seat to correct overall length of about 1.75"
Mike

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=313962

http://www.speer-bullets.com/products/components/empty_shot_capsules.aspx

Last edited by skeettx; 01/11/11 08:04 PM.

USAF RET 1971-95 [Linked Image from jpgbox.com]
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.