May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (Ken Nelson, Ted Schefelbein, Guy Ave), 464 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,523
Posts545,790
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#205541 10/11/10 10:49 PM
keith Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I've noticed over the years, while cleaning, repairing, or refinishing the stocks of many of my American made doubles that there often appears to be machining marks in the wood. I have never read any reference that spoke of duplicators being used, and pictures in various reference books typically show stockers with hand tools doing inletting or checkering. It would certainly make sense that makers who used lathes and milling machines to turn out the metal parts of their guns would machine stocks as well. So does anyone know who used duplicators or when they came into common use by gunmakers?

A true sign of mental illness is any gun owner who would vote for an Anti-Gunner like Joe Biden.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Machine made stocks have been around quite a long time. Here in Britain they were in common usage, certainly at Military Arsenals in the 1850's, possibly a lot earlier.

I would suspect that all large American gun making companies would have had stock duplicating machines by the end of the Civil War.

Companies like Remington were producing upwards of 1,300 Rolling Block Rifles a day in the late 1860's and 70's, there's no way they could have done that if their stocks were all hand made. I suspect that the hand made stocks that were photographed in manufacture were for Special Orders only.

Most companies had a customising shop, where (as Sam Colt said) he could get another 10 Dollars on the price for every extra Dollar he spent on the finish.

Harry

Last edited by Harry Eales; 10/11/10 11:59 PM.

Biology is the only science where multiplication can be achieved by division.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thomas Blanchard invented the stock duplicator in 1822 at Springfield Armory. Improvements by Blanchard and others before the time of the US Civil War allowed for both outside shaping and inletting of stocks. An example of a original Blanchard machine is on display at Springfield National Historic Site.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Keith:
Thomas Blanchard created a duplicating machine at Springfield Armory as early as 1822. Visit:

http://www.nps.gov/spar/historyculture/machines.htm

But understand that no machine of that era created "drop in stocks." Some minor hand fitting was still necessary.

Best, Kensal

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you ever have the opportunity to visit the Srpingfield Armory be sure to visit. Incredible history and you will see the stock duplicator. I could have stayed for hours more, but they do close!

Sidelock
Sidelock

This is a "stock profiler machine" at work. 1922 in the Marlin factory.

While a rough profiling could be done, the stock department was mostly men working wood in jigs while belt sanders or cutting heads did the work.

I have seen similiar images of Belgian work during this time period.

As has been pointed out, the needs of the military drove production methods.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

I can not recall with certainty where I saw it, may have been on CSMC's website or maybe in the back of MM's book on Fox guns but I recall seeing a stock duplicating machine that CSMC now owns that would duplicate up to 5 stocks at one time which came from the Fox factory... someone please correct me if I am wrong...

Andrew
Sidelock
Sidelock

I recall reading in the Parker Story that the machine they used in the factory was so precise that very little hand work was needed to fit-up the gun. They even had a machine for the skeleton buttplates, if you have ever fitted one of these, you know its a real job.

Jim A.

I learn something every day, and a lot of times it's that what I learned the day before was wrong

Sidelock
Sidelock

It's been a long time since I've been there, but I remember the Smithsonian having a very early stock duplicating machine on display. It was from well before the Civil War. I don't know if is is still on display or not anymore.
Chris

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.