May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (Jimmy W), 293 guests, and 3 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,506
Posts545,569
Members14,417
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Sidelock
Sidelock

Is the .38-Sp. a more inherently accurate round than the .22LR?

My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income.
- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Well I decided this morning that if it's 50 yards away it's not a threat so no shooting at that range ;-).

Circle=50 yards, double action, rest, 12 rounds
Square=25 yards, double action, offhand, 6 rounds

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, my take is that they are about the same when comparing the best wadcutter 38 Specials to the best 22LRs in the best handguns, out to 50 yds that is. After 50 yds the WCs are about done and will start to spread while the 22s will reach out somewhat farther with good accuracy, as much as 100 yds and even more.

Either one will provide more accuracy than 99.9% of shooters can take advantage of.

The heavy Keith-style SWCs will easily reach 100 yds and even much farther with good accuracy but perhaps not as good as a good 22LR IMO, at least out to 150-200 yds where the SWC really takes over.

Here's a controversial opinion and I offer it as only my opinion but based upon experience. I've never personally seen a revolver, any revolver, that would outshoot a semiauto of the same caliber and quality. IOW I've ALWAYS been able to outshoot any K-22 with any M41 or High Standard or Woodsman, same with the K-38 vs the M52 or even the abortive Colt Mid-Range Gold Cup. The typical non-fire-lapped revolver is simply not as accurate as the typical target semiauto, at least not in my experience.

For reference, I've had close to a dozen each K-22s and Woodsmen, about 1/2 dozen High Standard target models, 2-3 each M52s and Mid-Range Gold Cups. Also 6-8 M29s and a few dozen Colt SAs and another dozen or so 45 Gold Cups & other accurized 1911s. Owning these doesn't mean I'm right but shooting them for ~40K-50K rounds means I have formed an opinion. Have killed a number of whitetails with 22LR handguns using head shots at under 30 yds (but no farther with a 22).

I highly recommend Keith's Sixguns and McGivern's Fast and Fancy Revolver Shooting for more detailed info on what's possible with a good handgun. These 2 books, although somewhat dated now, are still the best on the subject and will give you at least 95% of the knowledge needed for good handgun performance.

Here's the other (grin) 95%(VBG!): FRONT SIGHT, TRIGGER SQUEEZE!
Regards, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Michael, since you're shooting DA then I'll suggest a spring kit and some polishing of internal parts. Also there are several DA techniques that will permit better DA sighting and control, mostly involving a partial-stop of the firing stroke just before discharge.

I've found that it's really helped me when I've shot at a distance over water where it was easy to see the bullet's strike for instant evaluation of the shot. I highly recommend this or something like it for about half your practice, the other half on paper. Just be sure of your backstop when firing over water of course.
Best, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the opinions Joe, always informative. FWIW, I have a copy of Askins THE PISTOL SHOOTERS HANDBOOK and he agrees with you, the semi autos will outshoot a revolver every time.

- Errol Flynn
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just got this nice pre-M43, the SCS&W calls them the "1955 .22/32 Kit Gun Airweight", alloy cylinder and 3-1/2" barrel. Plan to use it as a carry gun while bird hunting.

It came with period correct Magna's that weren't numbered to the gun so I put on a set of Herrett Shooting Stars I found. I'm new to handguns so I'm not sure how much difference these grips will make over the Magna's in field use but they certainly feel better in the hand. Will see how I shoot it and if it's a keeper may go for some nicer grips and a flap holster.

- Errol Flynn
SDH-MT Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Very Cool Rob, guess the bug has bitten??!! I've got a set of thsoe Herretts also, the are mcuh better for shooting. Is yours square or round butt? I've got a nice lined holster if you're interested?
This 1953, Kit Gun with 4" barrel and 4-screw sideplate arrived just the other day, and it shoots very nicely! The El Paso was waiting for it...

SDH-MT #208192 11/07/10 11:24 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Rob, have you put a magnet to the cylinder of that pre-Model 43 Airweight Kit? I had one of those once but wasn't aware that the cylinder was alloy, although the frame clearly is. I found mine just too light for my shooting ability and traded it in on a Model 51 .22 WRM a few years later. That one I still have: a "Baby Magnum".

Kit Guns of any flavor are some of the coolest handguns. I also have a 4" 651 .22WRM that I shoot the best of any of my handguns. The only thing I don't like about my two .22 WRM Kits is that they make one hell of a crack with the 3 1/2" barrel on the 51 and the 4" on the 651. Ear protection definitely needed, even when hunting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Armstrong
The only thing I don't like about my two .22 WRM Kits is that they make one hell of a crack with the 3 1/2" barrel on the 51 and the 4" on the 651. Ear protection definitely needed, even when hunting.

AMEN, Brother, and plenty of it!
Regards, Joe

Sidelock
Sidelock

Steve, mine's a square butt gun, got the Herrett's on eBay. Thanks for the holster offer, sent you an email.

BTW, how are the Herrett's finished? Think I can stain them a darker color without stripping?

Mike, I checked and both the frame and cylinder are alloy, the gun weighs 14.9oz. with the target grips. I have not done much small revolver shooting so I'm not used to a heavier gun.I have read some reports of the alloy cylinders being more prone to misfires when used in DA, they absorb more of the hammer blow's energy and transfer less to the cartridge rim.

- Errol Flynn
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.