May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (graybeardtmm3, earlyriser, lagopus, montenegrin, 3 invisible), 744 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,518
Posts545,716
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

dubbletrubble,
My Purdey #2 is pictured on page 57 of Donald Dallas's Purdey book. Features the unusual scoll opening lever.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar put TruOil over the case coloring on my Parker with a brush(with my approval) TruOil is easy to get, easy to remove and easy to reapply, as needed. Four years later, it still looks new. My barrels were blued but I'm sure it would be fine on Damascus as well as CC. JL

> Jim Legg <

We use True-oil diluted 200% with mineral spirits, airbrushed on case colors and use spray on acrylic clear on black & white barrels and are happy with the results. Easy removal for re-protection without damaging the finish.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Quote:
Originally posted by GJZ:
Clean the barrels with acetone and give 'em two coats of spray Tru-Oil. It's a very effective alternative to wax.
Is the acetone merely to remove oils, etc? Does it help bring out the contrasts?

I have a set of barrels that really do not need to be redone, but livened up a bit.

Pete

Sidelock
Sidelock

Pete,
Acetone will not bring out the contrast. I'm certain the intent is to clean and degrease.
Concerning your barrels. Often, near the end of the process, you can gain a little more contrast by using a mild abrasive such as rottenstone or fine pumice. Oscar Gaddy used Bon Ami cleanser. I've found that it's in the abrasive, not the cleaning agents. You could try this, below the forend perhaps, to see if it will help.
Jim
You'll need to remove any protective finish first, of course, and this in itself may freshen things up a bit, if the protectant has darkened with age.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim,

Thanks for the tip! I will give it a try, just as soon as I have the gun back from the 'smith.

Pete

Boxlock
Boxlock

I use Butchers Bowling alley wax, It is all
natural and has been made since 1880, it is used in the big Museums on the fine furniture. it is a paste wax, and it is great. I have been using to for years , on the wood, barrels and metal.
I would not use anything elise. But everyone
has their favorites.

Co-Writer of the new book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns,
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

WELCOME OW!

Certainly sounds like it should be a tough product, no?

Best,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Boxlock
Boxlock

I have used Butchers Bowling Alley wax for
over 30 years, it is great to prevent rusting.
I only use very little oil, where I have to for
lubrication. Petroleum oil deteriorates wood
over long use. but everyone swears by what they use. I use it on antique shotguns, and modern
guns also. Most people have never heard of
Butchers wax.

Co-Writer of the new book, Pte. Mouillee Shooting Club, History, Decoys, Nate Quillin, Punt Guns,
Eis Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

OW where do you get this wax? Eric

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.