May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, SKB, bushveld, LGF), 937 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,502
Posts545,510
Members14,414
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

It is still not clear that this pattern occurs for both barrels. Did you pattern both? It would seem that before anything else is done, you need to establish that both barrels are printing off in the same direction as that is a major factor in what path to take for a remedy. It also appears to me that your pattern is as much off to the right as it is low.

RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Chuck,Jim. I'll have to give serious thought on the bend. That resolve really works with my head. I get bothered with a ding in the barrel let alone knowing I bent the barrels. Brother bends stocks all the time and will probably mess with that first. Joe, DAH 2 5/8", DAC 1 1/2", bead rides above the breech slot, no rib shows. Mike, Shot both barrels. Also shots made off hand so slight lateral movement is most likely operator error. Also, the LC is lightweight gun at 6 1/2# and I wouldn't mind the chokes being opened, its now M/F. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

Just shoot OVER'em, Randy! How hard could it be?...Geo

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: RMC
DAH 2 5/8", DAC 1 1/2", bead rides above the breech slot, no rib shows.
Personally, I would lean towards the stock bending first. On my SxS guns, with the bead sitting on the breech with no rib showing I would shoot low. Every one of them. I like them set up so I would really have to mash my cheek down to get that sort of alignment. Maybe this is to compensate for barrel flip. On my O/U guns the pattern prints more in line with the rib line.

Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Mike Desjarlais
Originally Posted By: RMC
DAH 2 5/8", DAC 1 1/2", bead rides above the breech slot, no rib shows.
Personally, I would lean towards the stock bending first. On my SxS guns, with the bead sitting on the breech with no rib showing I would shoot low. Every one of them. I like them set up so I would really have to mash my cheek down to get that sort of alignment. Maybe this is to compensate for barrel flip. On my O/U guns the pattern prints more in line with the rib line.

+ 1 what Mike said. With that amount of drop and rib picture, all of my guns would shoot low. Bending barrels makes me real nervous.
Joe

RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Mike, I think the stock bend is my next step, thanks.......

George, Good line. I never thought of shoot"n over em. I can't believe it took this long for someone to come up with that idea. That's the easiest fix of them all. I'm going to give that idea some thought, not much thought, but some just the same. My wife said to sell it, that would take care of the problem too. George, hope all is well. Randy

RMC
Sidelock
Sidelock

OR - you could just read the gunfitting articles at shotgunreport.com so you know how much to bend the stock. Bruce Buck is a shooter and coach of mucho experience and he certainly tells the straight truth.
Read it and be happy

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Where does it hit if you mount and shoot fast? 1-1/2" DAC ought to have your eye high enough. Is it only low when you aim deliberately down the rib?

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

By pattering I don't see big problem here and considerable POI shift. Moreover you are going for turkey with this gun? Aim at turkey head and everything will be just fine wink

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Wait a minute, you said this was not off the bench, but hand held. Before you start bending anything, go back and try this off the bench so you are not as likely to induce the flinch factor or some other variable. Then working off the bench, add moleskin to raise the comb, be careful about making the stock wider as you add height as that can change point of impact side to side. From the photos, it is hard to know just how far off in inches the pattern is, but 1/16" change at the face moves the pattern approx 1" at 16 yds. Once the bench point of impact is where you want it at 16 yds, (I like about 60% of my pattern above the point of aim so I can hold low and see the whole bird in flight) get off the bench and mount and shoot to find out if the dynamic shots are significantly different from the static bench shots. Adjust as necessary. One other point, you said all your guns are setup the same, but seldom are all guns matched with stock thickness at the comb/cheek contact point. It may be your problem is resolvable in a slight change in cast. So just be aware of that while making adjustments.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.