May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (HistoricBore, FlyChamps, Jusanothajoe, 3 invisible), 294 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,496
Posts545,384
Members14,410
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
The ultimate standard variety collector Repro is 28 gauge, double trigger, two barrel set, straight grip, beavertail, in case, mint, with accessories. Julia (or was it Amoskeag?) actually sold one like that for ten grand at the absolute top of the market. Now, such a gun is lucky to break six. If a person does not own one, I would recommend picking one up now. The one "cuz" is looking at would be a great buy at $4000 if it really is near mint. Where in hell do the cases disappear to? I bet that gun was once a two barrel set and the case was sold.

Bill, are you sure of that, could your memory be getting a bit fuzzy? As I recall, one of those NIB 28-ga. 2-bbl. sets sold for ~$7500 and you shortly thereafter boldly predicted that they would soon rise to $10,000. You will undoubtedly be right eventually, but it's probably going to take awhile to get there now.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think this was the thread and RIA was the auction.

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=148137&page=2

IMO the ST (and problems associated with it) along with the cut buttplate are very large deductions(40-45%).A DT,ST 28 will still bring bidders and much more then the others.

Hillary For Prison 2018
Sidelock
Sidelock

The RIA auction was a good example of what can happen when a quantity of Repros is put up when wonderful original guns are available at the same auction. The RIA prices were as low as we have seen in years for great Repros. The high price I mentioned for a two barrel set with all popular features was not at RIA, but at another auction. Nothing wrong with old eightbore's memory when "Guns I Didn't Buy" are involved.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: eightbore
I would like to pick up a 28 gauge, 28" double trigger, straight grip gun with splinter forend for a "reasonable" price now that the market has tanked. I don't care about the case if the price is right. What are my chances?

Bill I looked for 3 years for that exact configuration and when one would pop up I was always too late. I finally closed on one a couple of months ago. It has been hunted, has some handling marks, carry wear, and a few small wood dings. I payed the asking the price the day it popped up on the website. It weighs 5lbs 5oz and has perfect light trigger pulls.

Best,

Mike

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

When Winchester quit manufacturing Parker Repro's, I paid $2700 for a new DHE two barrel set and the shotgun came in a fitted leather covered hard case. I am more than pleased with the wood on my gun and mostly use it for prairie grouse, huns, dove and quail. My 28 DHE is still in pristine condition and I have been offered and refused $7500 for the shotgun. Is it worth that much? I doubt it, but it is a beautiful shotgun that handles well.

Jim
Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks all for your opinions. Based on what I learned here, I bought the repro 28 at what would appear to be a very good price. Of course today is March 31, last day of quail season in Georgia, so it will have to wait til next year to get to the field. Fit for me seems spot on (I am the statistical norm for heighth though above average for avoir dupois) and I am counting on it to cure my problem of missed birds. I will try to ignore the "made in Japan" stamped on the barrels, which has caused me shove guns out of the nest before.

Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

And exactly what is wrong with "Made in Japan?" The Japanese make some fine products!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yeah, but Repros are like Toyotas. Sometimes the trigger sticks and the darned things just keep shooting!

Joe Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

laugh laugh laugh Excellent!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Joe;

No question the Japanese make fine products and this Parker appears to be a very good piece of gunsmithing. But for me, and I think most people on this board, shotgunning has important components of heritage and romance entertwined in the actual act of hunting or shooting. Our imaginations transcend practicality. That's the reason for all the posts on Parkers, Elsies, British guns, and obscure European makes. In fact, its the reason for the existence of Parker repro's as people take to the field with replicas of guns they either can't afford or are too valuable to go dragging through the catbriars. We want to simulate the experiences of our forefathers with their shiny new Parkers in an era to which many of us feel we would have been better suited. Its why I carry a Parker 20 VH while most of my bird buddies swing Beretta O/U's.

As I hit 60, there are several guns that have been with me for a large part of my life. They are guns that I've made the connection with; guns that have been history in my hands. Many other guns have rotated through the safe and have been quickly forgotten. I have some in there now who's existence is in peril. But the ones that have stayed are all older guns and either U.S. or European. Like a good old dog, they are simply not for sale.

Hopefully this repro Parker and I can go to the field next year and bond. If I shoot it well this may be the cure for my firearms xenophobia. If not, watch for it in the "sale" forum on this website. I'll use the money to buy another Parker...or Elsie...or something Abercrombie and Fitch brought into this country a century ago. I have nothing against Japanese guns. They just haven't yet satisfied what I personally seek in this hobby.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.