May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
5 members (R. Glenz, buckstix, oskar, JDH, PALUNC), 235 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,531
Posts545,922
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

OLD Bottom opening Side by Side F/S

http://www.trapshooters.com/

If you search the site above you can find the gun. I know absolutely nothing about the gun or the person selling it - just thot someone here might have an interest.

WtS

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Couldn't you have been a little more vague? The site doesn't appear to have a "search" button. How about a link to the ad, itself, please?
Thank you,

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

That stupid site doesn't show links to the threads so here is text
Subject: ~~~OLD Bottom opening Side by Side F/S~~~
Email: xxxrkoby@gorge.net drop the xxx's
Date: Sun, Mar 07, 2010 - 12:19 AM ET
Website Address:
Unique bottom opening H.Scherping Side by Side. I think this gun came over on the Nina,Pinta, or Santa Maria. It’s old. Really old.Engraved from one end to the other, still sharp feeling and crisp. 29 ½” barrels with gold inlayed rings at breech. Right barrel is .728” bore with .693” and Left barrel is .730” with .693” .035”/.037” barrels made by “Sir Joseph Whitworth” “Hanover” Stamped “Nitro” no chamber length stamped on the block. Barrels look smooth and good for age, certainly not like they just came from Wilkinson.

All metalwork on this gun is in pretty good shape. The rear grip screw might have been loosened at one time, the rest of the screws that hold hammers on, bottom opening lever and side plate screws look like they have never been turned.

Wood is possible Turkish Walnut, checkering is 50-60% at best, it looks like it had a leather pad at one time, and possibly a gunsmith added a piece of wood with a plastic butt pad. I don’t think it has been cut any, just the original pad removed. The forearm removes like a top lever on a over under, moves to the side then the forearm comes off. 3500.00 and I will ship to your door. Gun will be at PDX gun club tomorrow for inspections. l.g.
end of text

prolly won't search if you're not registered either

best I can tell you is hit the button that puts it in category mode and then go to the for sale stuff. Or just look for it if it is in non-category mode and won't change. The stuff is all arranged chrono and the last post on it was 3/10 so if you look thru all the 3/10 crap it'll be in there somewhere

sorry

WtS

It's a stupid site in lots of ways other than how it works too

Last edited by Wonko the Sane; 03/12/10 05:26 PM.

Dr.WtS
Mysteries of the Cosmos Unlocked
available by subscription
Sidelock
Sidelock

Another example by brother Heinrich Scherping but with Whitworth tubes. I've seen his with Birmingham proofs but I don't remember one with Whitworth. Mike Hart just might be interested.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hmmmm I have never seen Sir Joseph Whitworth tubes made of Damascus like this gun has.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks for the effort, J.B., as I know it takes time. Typical Rigby style forend latch and I think it to be reproofed, for want of a better term, post 1912. Heinrich Scherping may have made this one himself or contributed to the effort. Although it may have been made post 1912 of older components but there was a lot of hand effort as seen pre-WWI that was pretty much extinguished post WWI simply due to the loss of craftsmen, loss of market(Austo-Hungarian empire was divided) and mechanization taking up a large portion of the gunmaking task, or components being sourced closer to the finished state.

Mr. Halliquist:
Even before the ref/pics, I wouldn't think the tubes to be pattern welded as in the 1870s and 1880s the Germans thought they wanted to be English and then I believe they found there identity at home and began colonization. But many higher end examples were fitted with early British fluid steel tubes.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

Sidelock
Sidelock

Raimey, when I looked at the site of the Sherping it looked like it had Damascus barrels. Could not figure Whitworth in this gun.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thank you, JB. There HAD to be a better way and a more direct link.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Jim, when these site directions pop up and don't work, you can always Google a few key words, which was what I did from Wonko's info. Then, Boom, I was there. Agee the Trap site is a cripple.

Last edited by Daryl Hallquist; 03/12/10 10:20 PM.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.