May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Mike Harrell, R. Glenz, Bill Davis, L. Brown), 292 guests, and 10 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,520
Posts545,736
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#178885 02/15/10 06:02 PM
Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

If one would want to move the POI a few inches in one direction is there any way one can calculate how many thousandths of an inch to remove from the choke from that side? Something like the formula used for stock bending where if the POI is 1 inch from POA, then one bends the stock with 1/16th" for a 16 yards target.
I have some ideas in mind depending on the constriction one starts with and the POI at a certain distance to calculate the new choke constriction so that the new POI brings the POA in the center...
Of course, moving the pattern in one direction will imply widening of the pattern.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Eccentric choking does not always result in a change of impact on a one for one basis. I have seen one eccentric choke that just made the pattern very poor on one side. Did not move the entire pattern towards the left as expected. Might be better to leave as is unless you have POI divergence which is a foot or more difference. Slower or faster loads will sometimes change the POI as well.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have adjusted the POI on cheap Brazilian .410s with a 3/8" rattail file. Cut and test. The impact will move over just like moving the front sight. Want to go right, remove a little steel from the inside right of the muzzle. Polish it when you're happy. Of course the pattern will widen slightly but that beats the heck out of missing the target, with all of the shot.

> Jim Legg <

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried a number of different loads or ammo manufacturers to determine if the POI you are experiencing is consistent through all possible ammo combinations?

Sliver Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

I changed the POI on an old Darne that came with XF/XF chokes. I wish I had taken notes at that time because I moved the POI where I wanted it and opened the chokes to IC/M.
I think one can calculate how much to remove from what side of the barrel by measuring the diameter of the final theoretical pattern so that the POA coincides with the POI and figuring out the constriction difference in thousanths and removing that much from where need be. Something like that.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Twice I have had problems with crooked chokes shooting off POA.

In one case, some aggressive "polishing" of choke, making it more concentric, helped a lot. However, still needed to find load(s) that did give centered patterns. Was successful, with at least a small number of loads.

On one barrel of a cheap Spanish double, pattern was both very irregular and off center. Finally found a single load that gave nice even and tight (80+%) patterns from that barrel, as well as 70+% patterns from other barrel. Used that load happily with that gun for many years.

Niklas

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.