March
S M T W T F S
1 2
3 4 5 6 7 8 9
10 11 12 13 14 15 16
17 18 19 20 21 22 23
24 25 26 27 28 29 30
Who's Online Now
4 members (LRF, bsteele, David Williamson, Ted Schefelbein), 826 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,374
Posts544,016
Members14,391
Most Online1,258
Mar 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#171728 12/27/09 07:51 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

It is hard to deny the similarities between early Harvey Rodgers work, and John Dubiel stock work. One thing that I have been wondering, is who influenced who, or did they stock in the style that their boss told them to? I hope Micheal does not mind that I stole a couple of his pictures for this discussion.

If I got them right, the middle rifle is a Hart Arms marked Rodgers, whole the other two are Dubiel stocks. They both had there own cheek piece style, but the similarities are obvious and from this side I would have a hard time telling them apart. Later Rodgers stocks have some added refinements such as his treatment of the forward part of the cheek piece, comb nose fluting, and a slight swell in the middle of the pistol grip on the right side. I don't know the exact time line as to when they each began working at Hoffman. If one had started mch before the other it may be that the one who came later had to follow the style that the other had developed. I would be very interested in your thoughts Michael.

Thanks,
John

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi John, Nice photos ;-),

I've been staring at at my unfinished John Dubiel article for about a year now trying to sort out where and from whom he learned stock making. He came to Hoffmans as a barrel grinder from Colt with his friend Eric Johnson. Rodgers was self taught and had made stocks before he went to Hoffmans. John Dubiel's late son Joe claimed his dad learned gunsmith in Europe, his daughter says no. I believe that John's background was in music and MAY have trained as a violin maker, again I don't have enough to publish that.

When it's all said and done both John Dubiel and Harvey Rodgers were at the top of their game. My guess is that Dubiel learned from Rodgers or they both learned from Wright. The only thing I feel confident about is they did not learn stock making from Hoffman.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Sidelock
Sidelock

If Rodgers made stocks before he came to Hoffman, then isn't it unlikely that he learned from Wright? And, therefore, unlikely that he and Dubiel had a common teacher? So, it would seem that Dubiel probably got some training from Wright and possibly Rodgers while all were at Hoffman, but each developed his own style.

I was told by a former Griffin & Howe stockmaker that they were told to conform to the company style, but that there are very small unique touches in G & H stocks. I would think the same could be true of Hoffman stocks - or any other gunmaking house.

About ten years ago, Old Town Station had a Wright & Son, K.C., 12 gauge which sold before I contacted them. Engraving very much like one of Michael's Hoffman guns. Does anyone on this board own it?

Sidelock
Sidelock

Terry, I wish I could say for certain but at this point I'm still using my best guess. I've been digging into the Wrights, there were three of them and the one who came from England and worked at Hoffman in Cleveland is not the same one who opened the shop in Kansas City.

The way that the checkering rounds back over the top of the grip has always looked very English to me. Not sure that means anything but something to think about.

MP Sadly Deceased as of 2/17/2014

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.