May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
7 members (JDH, buckstix, Ken Georgi, Marks_21, j7l2, 1 invisible), 1,214 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,511
Posts545,662
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
775 Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Minnesota never managed to get rid of the bastards.....they are such poor shots,trappers, shoot-shovel-shutuppers and poisoners the vermin used the state to stage a comeback in the UP and Wisconsin.

Don't hear much doom and gloom from them though...meybe they don't have computers?

Or they did have computers and the wolves ate them?

Ted?

Wolf, the OTHER white meat,
Mark

Ms. Raven
Sidelock
Sidelock

Older Doc-

Thanks for posting that. Real smart. What if some nut job reads it and decides to put out some "anti-freeze" traps of their own?

Then someone's hunting dog drinks it and dies a slow, painful death from kidney failure.

OWD

Last edited by obsessed-with-doubles; 12/21/09 10:37 AM.

Good Gun Alerts & more:

www.DogsandDoubles.com
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Not much documentation on the wolf/dog killing. Bringing the wolves down to a token population probably needs to be implemented. Stats from David Meach, noted wildlife biologist reports a wolf will kill 15-20 deer a year. If the Michigan UP has 500 wolves, that could be 10,000 deer killed a year. That could be 2x the hunter kill numbers.

RMC
mc Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

i agree with OWD people who have to get the antifreeze idea from this site or any site are the morons who voted obamma

Sidelock
Sidelock

Yep 775, have the same problem here in Minnesota. They actually had the wolves de-listed as endangered in May, but a court challenge has revoked that.

http://news.dnr.state.mn.us/index.php/20...ral-protection/

As for me I can no longer hunt my bigger running pointer in the grouse woods... too risky. And I'm nervous with the closer dog as well. Really detracts from the hunt, and so I only made one grouse trip this year. And now when you are on the deer stand and the doe runs by it's just as likely a pack of wolves chasing as a love-sick buck.

Bryan

Sidelock
Sidelock

Too many wolves here in NW Montana.

Last cat season a couple of dogs were killed by wolves. THis season is still going, I haven't heard of any killed dogs, yet.
I have seen many wolf tracks in the woods while hunting grouse.
The elk hunters complain that besides seeing less elk, the bulls don't bugle back anymore.
And that is something that hunters may have to deal with. Another predator on the map. What bothers me is that the people who promoted the reintroduction of the wolves want too many of them without any scientific basis. I believe that most if not all biologists involved in the project agreed that there are three times more wolves than we are supposed to have in the Montana/Idaho/Wyoming area.

Many people around have taken the problem in their hand since they feel that the info the government has about the number of wolves around is underestimated.
I am afraid that this is not going to be a very beneficial situation because if there is info about a "dwindling" wolf population, the Feds will take over the management again.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A wolf is just a coyote on steroids- Kill "em all- poison, 30-30, traps--and to hell with the PETA numbnutz!!

"The field is the touchstone of the man"..
RMC Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

One last posting, Last night I talked with a friend who owns a hunting camp in central UP of Michigan. Seven hunters up for the opening week. Three left after a couple days, tally after the week: deer seen 2, wolves seen 12. Three wolves were seen 30 ft. off the cabin porch when a member stepped out for a smoke.

RMC
EDM Offline
Sidelock
Sidelock

Two wolf stories: The first happened a few years ago while driving to the big Ohio gun show; wife Nancy and I were south of Xenia and north of Wilmington when a gray wolf ran across the road about 100 yards ahead and loped into the bean field. It was no coyote.

Bill Murphy may remember Kody, our kid's half-wolf when they were in Leesburg VA. Kody was, for all intents and purposes, a wolf to look at, and a good pet. A really big coyote weighs 40-45 pounds; an average young wolf weighs 72 pounds and stands 3 inches higher at point of shoulders than my then 80 pound Lab Clipper. Kody stood 3-inches above my Lab and weighted 80 pounds also. I am a soybean farmer and watched that wolf lope through the almost mature beans that almost reached his shoulder. A coyote would have been under the canopy...

The following summer at the Leader Lake WI Cottage Owners Assn. annual meeting in Minong WI (about 40 miles due south of Duluth MN), we had a DNR guy make an after dinner presentation, this time about wolves. He said there was--and still is--a "Minong Pack" of about 16, about 8 miles west of our cottage; I had seen one once. The DNR guy explained how they catch and then track them with electronic collars, and said one problem was that the young males sooner or later get kicked out of the pack by the alpha male, and they are programed genetically to try to muscle themselves into another pack. But there being no other packs close by, they become "lone wolves," sort of like the guy who didn't have a nickle to get of the MTA.

Punch line: The DNR guy said one of their collared lone wolves had been hit by a truck near Madison IN, and another collared young male hit by a car near Wilmington OH--two weeks after I saw a wolf thereabouts...small world!

Another wolf story is wife Nancy's from this summer in Alaska. We were in a remote area north of Fairbanks, on the Chena Springs Road. I was off in the wilderness chasing grayling with my 3-weight, and she came looking for me with ParkerDog, our 72 pound yellow Lab. Usually ParkerDog would be pissing on every bush and ranging out 30 yards sniffing everything, but he held close to Nancy, following at heel; what's up?

Nancy came around a bend in the wide trail and there stood a mature wolf 10 yards away. The wolf simply turned and walked away, not rushed, but quickly disappeared in the bush. ParkerDog just stood there. I wonder what he was thinking...

And I wonder how many bloggers with second- and third-person hearsay and AP-news stories to reiterate have ever actually seen a wolf in the wild? Nancy has two to her credit. Anyone else?

On our way back from Alaska we visited friends in Montana. Seems like everyone there had bought a wolf permit, but the newly-enacted special season was in in doubt because of the usual 11th hour litigation. Seems like judges run the country nowadays. I left before the issue was resolved, one way or the other. But I did get a copy of the regs, and suffice it to say that reducing a wolf to possession in Montana, legally, would probably require a lawyer's and/or Talmudic scholar's advice. Things ain't what they used to was. EDM

EDM
Sidelock
Sidelock

i actualy have 5 not includeing 3 diffrent sightings this year while hunting them with my muzzleloader

My father was a salmon and steelhead biologist for the state of Idaho .
In the 70’s we lived up in the Stanly area I can remember hearing wolves at night .

In 1984 a couple friends and I decided we would hunt the mirror lake area . We ended up getting after a real nice herd of elk with a very good herd bull . By the time we realized just how far back we were , it was getting dark .

There were 3 of us and we all had head lamps . About 2 miles from our pickup right in the trail in front of us stood a wolf .
I got to see it just as it dived off the trail .
Russell the friend that was in the lead , says ; was that what I think it was .
What had been a nice night of hiking back now turned into one of watching off the trail . In total we say maybe 7 that night and they followed us all the way back to the pickup .

A few years later Russell and I were up in the hells canyon area . Specifically Cuddy mountain. It was in early archery season , We had worked our way down toward grizzly basin and was just starting to drop off into rush creek falls . We had stopped on an out cropping and was taking a break . When across the canyon on a deer tral walked out 2 adult wolves and 3 pups . We watched them the better part of 30 minutes as they made their way up rush creek for buck park and Inkwell

Year before last I saw another big male not far above Weiser
We were out turkey hunting . I had sat down to glass the opposite side of the draw and ridge line .
When I first say the wolf I remember thinking ; , now who would have their German Sheppard running around way up here ???

. He was still well away from where we were at . As he worked his way along the ridge and more up to equal across from me , I dawned on me that it was a wolf .

In fact it eventualy came within about 50 yards of where I was sitting . Close enough I could make out a tracking collar .
Later during a IF&g meeting , they had a layout of where they were tracking wolves .
I noticed that there wasnt a line showing a wolf in that area . So I stood up and said HA!!!!.
I know for a fact there are wolves in this unit right here and this one right here ,pointing at the map.
The management director then stated yes there was and in fact they had a collared wolf that had went through that area and even crossed the snake river . It had taken up residence in the eagle caps out of Baker OR and That the map they were showing was not up to date .

There is no mistaking a wolf from a coyote none . Same goes for their call . No compression to a coyote at all .

Again as I said I like to see them now and then . But I sure don’t want them in the numbers we are getting them at now .

I also would not shoot one without a season . Now if it was looking like it intended in molesting one of my dogs while grouse hunting , that’s another story .

Last edited by captchee; 12/23/09 09:30 PM.
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.