May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (mark, bushveld, Argo44, docbill), 270 guests, and 5 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,156
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

My question is in regards to the reproduction silvers type pad from CSMC. http://www.csmcspecials.com/category_s/18.htm

How are the rubber screw hole plugs held in? I figured they would be a snug fit. They are not snug. The plugs shipped with the pad are slightly smaller than the blockout holes for the screws. The plugs fall out.

Am I missing something? If I glue them in, they pad is on forever. Could they have shipped me the wrong plugs? Or, is the extra space intentional to account for a leather covering?

Thanks!

Sidelock
Sidelock

I have installed a few and they were all tight fitting.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Ryan,
Send the pad back to CSMC. If you have to have a repro pad, I would probably look hard into the pads from Griffin & Howe. Ih have not been too fond of the CSMC repro Silvers pads. If it was my gun..I would go with the original Silvers pad. I also really like the new pads from NECG, they are really nice.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I bought 4 right period pads from Galazan, all 4 were ok. Send them back, if plugs loose and ask to send good one.

Geno.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Send it back to them. I have before.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A couple years back I bought a Silvers pad (not Silvers-like) to replace an 80-year old Silvers. The orginal plugs are cylindrical and are a friction fit - push them in until they're flush and go shooting. The new model has slighly tapered plugs. I ground the bottom off a bit so the plugs could go in deep enough to grip and then went shooting.
If your plugs at least visually fill the holes, how about a wipe of rubber cement to keep them in place?
The only Galazan pad I'm familiar with is the lumpy Ithaca reproduction.

RyanF Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Thanks for the input.

I bought the pad from MidwayUSA, not directly from Galazan. I emailed Midway about the problem, and they are sending a new pad.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Have you tried compressing the plugs in a vise for a day or two? I remember doing that, but don't remember whether the plugs stayed compressed or not.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I just put one on yesterday. Got it direct from Tony. The plugs were tight, but this was an inch and a half pad, and the plugs were one inch. I used shell wads to pick up the gap.

Boxlock
Boxlock

I had one put on by a gunsmith, he recommended it he said he put on hundreds of them. When they are properly installed(and the plugs look perfect to me)according to there instructions, round the edges, buff with Vaseline, light coat of varnish. It looks exactly like the old original silvers pad not the new ones. I sold it to a very well known gun dealer, he committed that the gun still had the original pad on. I guess that is what we are looking for.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.