May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
3 members (prairie ghost, samsonwilliams, 1 invisible), 356 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,524
Posts545,816
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

favorite Boss shotgun? or any of his guns for that matter?
Has it ever gone to auction like with Oswalds carcano,Booth`s derringer,etc??

Sidelock
Sidelock

I think one of his shotguns was in th Cody, WY. museum. But it has been 15 years since I was last there.

JERRY

I have read that Boss (the one he took his life with) was destroyed at the request of the family.

Integrity is like virginity, only you can give it away and only once!
Sidelock
Sidelock

Use to be a old Skeet shooter in Baltimore who had a bullet fired from Oswalds carcano. Eightbore knows who I am talking about I am sure. He use to have a Rolls and shot the only Chrome plated Model 12 I ever saw. Said he hated cleaning guns after shooting. Truth is that he started drinking the stockand forgot to clean the gun. Last I knew he had a Skeet shoot named after him.

Heck of a fun guy to know. I miss all those old timers. Ed Calhoun, Ercell Dove, Harry Wright, Kurt Castle, ..... the sky is full of one of the best squads I will ever see and someday I might see them again. Just not for many years I hope. I am sure others have old timers they have lost and rarely think about.

Sidelock
Sidelock

his Beretta S2 (or was it a S3?) sold at auction a few years ago. i seem to remember it went for modest money.

Sidelock
Sidelock

A few months ago there was an extensive discussion of Hemingway and his guns on the SSM website. Couple of guys over there are gonzo about Hemingway history, and I think one of them is writing a book on the subject. Disposition of his guns was reviewed in that thread.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I heard someone offered to buy that Boss from Hemingway for next to nothing and Hemingway really gave him a piece of his mind.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Gentlemen The Latest Shooting Sporting Mag has a good artical on Hemingway By Calabi Former (Stand at the Bar and buy the Beer),And of course"The Ladies", Dont think that just because this is a "Spit & Sawdust"Site' That the Fair-Sex Aint rolling their Balls(Eyes) over the Small-Print and checking out the 'Dudes' in their Stinky Duck Shooting, Dove Slaughtering Water proofs,!!!!!I am re-stocking a pair of Boss 20b, DB for a Member or the Fair-Sex. they have been in the Family since 1934....Used continuously every Dove & Quail season,,,,,,,Let me tell you(FOR all the ExPurtts that continualy wail those 'Old Brit Guns just cant stand up to modern Sporting Clays Shooting.)....Your in the dark dudes, Proove it" I've listened to this Bull-Crappe"( Or to be "PC"I Feel Your Pain) for the last45 yrs...and I'm still re-stocking British Guns & Rifles from the",Excuse the Colonialisim',The Golden Age"The average age of my Clients bringing the Old Family Gun,35-45, (Or the Matched Pair thatUncle Brian used every year when he went to Scotlsnd got "pissed out of his tree" But always headed the list of Noteable American Shooters" I Read many stories in the Glossies...Guns and Ammo,Etc. BUT.....Where are You Now??? Here you are in the "Land of the Free" Buying new Guns, all that 'Loverly Ammo" but the Majority of Shooters" Squirt your Ball-Point in the General Direction ofDBgunshop...Nothing of Substance...Where are the John Ambers, Elmer Keiths, Skeeter Skeltons, Carmichaels,Alex Kerrs, Bill Jorden,Paytron Aubrey,I had the "Honour" to Hob-Nob with these Men...Whoops almost forgot to mention Carola Mandel, Elenor Lagorio,Ceciela Gaige, "Broads who Really knew where to put their "Loads"... Whats Happened to the "So Called Red Blooded American Male"? Get the Ferk away from that Computer...Guns are made for Shooting.....Then Tell your Story....Get out from under that Dammed Rock.....Where are the "Good Old Boys"///"All My Rowdy Friends Have Settled Down" (Hanks Greatest"!!)cc/dt

Sidelock
Sidelock

I believe his Model 21 sold at auction a few years ago. I think his oldest son still has some of his guns if he is still alive. His younger son, Chris died in jail a few years ago dressed as a female prostitute. I noticed today that several of Roy Rogers' and Dale Evans' guns are going up for auction including Roy's Model 21 trap gun. I believe about 25 of his and her handguns are included, too. Good luck.

Sidelock
Sidelock

cc/dt, I'm sure you are aware that those that can, are out there shooting them. Just in my little group of acquaintences, there are way into seven figures being invested annually in fine guns, out of town hunts, the outdoor lifestyle, etc. In Amber's time, several of these high roller types flew within the radar and we lesser beings knew about their exploits. Today, the recipients of the mass outdoor media get less news of these "types" only because there are better publications than Guns and Ammo and Outdoor Life available, and these Guns and Ammo guys don't spring for the better publications. OK, so there aren't any John Ambers out there any more, but who really knows. We wouldn't know John Amber from Adam if he didn't publish the Gun Digest. As a matter of fact, Gun Digest readers didn't know one percent of what John Amber really was. Only after "the catalog" came out, we began to understand what a Rennaisance Man he really was. Before that, he was only a publisher who owned a few nice guns. Murphy

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.