May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (1 invisible), 500 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,509
Posts545,637
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Sidelock
Sidelock

King, you're missing an obvious difference. My post about the UK rolling over on gun laws--which they've certainly done, as even most gun-owning Brits would admit--was made only in response to salopian's salvo about how this country rolled over on a lead shot ban. You, for whatever reason (perhaps you missed salopian's opening shot?) decided to pile on the good old US of A--with a lack of knowledge about our gun laws vs yours, our history of dealing with terrorism, and how we've lost rights as a result of the Patriot Act. (I certainly haven't lost any, and I don't know of anyone else who has either. I don't think one has the constitutional right to communicate with terrorists via email or telephone--and even the Democrats in Congress voted not to change basic counterintelligence procedure in that area. Nor has President Obama made any such overtures, to this point.) Perhaps it would be better to say that one should not stick one's nose into something without a better understanding of the issues under discussion. Except perhaps to ask questions and learn.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: King Brown
The historical perspective, Larry, is that was then and this is now: Canada and the UK fight terrorism as any other criminal activity, within the rule of law, and not by breaking sacred constitutional commitments and international law. Fighting the wrong war in the wrong place at the wrong time has not strengthened our security; by all accounts the other side is growing stronger. We're no longer just looking for a guy in a cave.

That nuclear umbrella you gave us is a dandy analogy for now: The nuclear arsenal was as useless then as it is now in the age of terrorism, fundamentally useless as a deterrent (and Canada had a brigade and CF-104 nuclear-tipped Air Division over there). The threat now is loose nukes escaping from Pakistan and, without some deal with Iran, from there, too.

The brighter side of the mess of Iraq which cost the US so much sympathy and support that it's out of synch with 21st century vulnerabilities and a worn-out 20th century military force, is that the whole world now is pulling for your new President because it's witnessing again the idealism, courage and hope that made modern America the most admired country in the world.

King B

The US (and I personally) lauds and appreciates the UK and the Canadian military commiments to the anti-terrorist war in Afganistan. I have a great deal of experience with both the UK and Canadian Militaries and find them to be wonderful friends and comrades. It's the government policies and funding and use of their own forces that I find incredibly stupid.

Your last paragraph is pure horseshit. I don't give a hoot what anyone around the world thinks of the US. And that certainly includes YOU.

Terrorism is NOT just criminal activity. This is asymetric warfare by anyone's definition and certainly by Al Qaeda's definition. THEY think are at war with not only the US but Canada and most of Europe as well. Your post is so wrong in so many ways I do not know where to start.

You are hosed.

Quailnut

Quailnut

Virtute et Labore
Sidelock
Sidelock

Huh? What was the original topic, seems I got lost somewhere.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Larry, your admonitory posts are so undiplomatic and condescending, of what we can say and don't know, were you with the State Department or attached to the consular service, on an ambassador's staff, or as a military attache? Sounds more like the latter to me.

Sidelock
Sidelock

King, the best diplomats know how to be tough in response to . . . well, Quailnut's views are pretty much mine concerning most of your comments about this country. I was a diplomat of the "spook" variety, CIA, US Embassy, Rabat, Morocco (when Black September began their terrorist activities). Followed by almost 25 years in Military Intelligence, with a specific focus on counterintelligence/counterterrorism. My last assignment was as the de facto commander of the prototype Joint Reserve Intelligence Center, supporting the European Command's JAC (Joint Analysis Center), RAF Molesworth, UK. Retired at the rank of colonel in 1998, when President Clinton was busy whittling away at our military and intelligence community.

I try my best to tailor my responses so that they're as diplomatic as the messages to which they respond. As a model of diplomacy, I prefer Churchill to Chamberlain.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: chile69
please I need your help I have a antique shotgun made in italy in 1956 20 guage for mario fabbrizioli & fligi rimini muy garnd father by in genova armeria L.cozzy please I need more guns for by and more information, I tell whit the family in italy and the family maked guns and musical oboe and traversa instruments the Mario Fabrizzioli & figli rimini sorry may english Im fron chile south america my mail is marcelloavatte@hotmail.com

You may want to start a new thread -- this is sure to be lost in this discussion

Sidelock
Sidelock

Thanks. That's what I thought, more like military attache if you were embassy or consulate staff. Covert intelligence. Spy. There's nothing dishonourable about that. The consummate spy Intrepid, our William Stephenson was pretty good at that, exposing among many other things the devastating extent of Soviet espionage activities in the US. I worked with his biographer for years. A friend ran wet operations in New York City before the US got into the war. But you weren't a diplomat. That's why I asked. My craft is trained to never defer to the military when it's out of line, and I felt you were crossing the line by telling me what I could not do on this international shooting-fraternity board. There's no ordering-around here. Regards, King

Last edited by King Brown; 02/03/09 01:54 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I wrote this on the "Dan Cooper" thread. I think it bears repeating here:

"I have a grown son that my wife and I spend many hours each week laughingly discussing his foibles and screw-ups but let one our siblings mention any of his flaws to us and the fight is on."

When a board member from another country criticizes the USA on this board it grates on my nerves. I feel a deep instinctive urge to defend my country's action and reputation - about the same as when one of my siblings or my wife's siblings mention some flaw of my son. I don't think our out-of-country members realize what a visceral reaction many of us are feeling when they criticize our country here.

Now I have many conversations with my countrymen criticizing this or that about my country or it's actions. But I don't do it here.

There are many places to criticize the USA and it's actions on the internet. There is also the "Misfires" section of this BBS if you just have to do it here.

Best,

Mike

Last edited by AmarilloMike; 02/03/09 02:58 PM.

I am glad to be here.
Sidelock
Sidelock

Chile69 I think that you may have accidently entered a war zone. I was in my local gun shop today and he had three Italian gun books for sale. I was going to buy one even though I don't speak Italian as the illustrations were so good. I will look up the Maker that you mention and see if he is listed. For now, keep your head down and your powder dry and I will see what I can find out when I call in again in a day or two. Lagopus.....

Sidelock
Sidelock

Wasn't this thread about a pending lead shot ban in Washington State? How the hell did it get to be a battle over US / Canadian relations. How about we try to focus a bit guys.....

Destry

Out there at the crossroads molding the devil's bullets. - Tom Waits
Page 4 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.