May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
1 members (GETTEMANS), 889 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,527
Posts545,853
Members14,420
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mike--WOW! I've seen the gun a few times before (!!) but that BIRD is freaking amazing...never seen one like that.

Brian, I grew up in the adirondacks, not sure where you hunt. This year I got over there less than usual, but I did join a few friends at ones place "somewhere in New York" that we dubbed New Vermont just to protect the innocent. All being lab guys, we had a blast with a pile of black dogs and a really fun time despite one day of absolutely torrential rain. Luckily our dogs can swim, we hunted anyway. It was the first time I had hunted this area despite going to college briefly within 10 minutes of one of the spots we hit. I had a blast.
This year I had very good success finding woodcock, not as good as 2006 but a long shot better than 2007. Grouse numbers seemed on the good side of average to me, but very dependant on exactly where I was.
Thanks and my best to you, and hope you enjoy the link and photos.
black dog rendesvous

and a few from other trips...

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Yeti, Brian and others,
Yeti the Ruffed Grouse (Mountain Birds as a friend of mine refers to them) are always such a challenge to bring to hand.
I have as much luck with or without a dog, the dog makes finding them a bit eaiser when shot, and certainly more fun if the dog works close. I find much of the time they will flush with or without the dog.
I have a friens who guides and hunts very often, he had 414 flushes in 101 hours in the field and that was 3-4 weeks ago. An average of 4+ flushes per hour is pretty fine.
Jeff G.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Dave, hosting The Black Plague was the highlight of my NY season. That and my report double over Lockie a few weeks later.

New Vermont, land of the Black Dogs.

As far as reports go, I've had spectacular days and tough days. Par for the course in my experience, but worth every gallon of gas, drop of blood and scrap of boot leather.

Last edited by Briarscratch; 12/10/08 04:40 PM.
Boxlock
Boxlock

I had an amazing woodcock year, starting in Michigan Sept 28th and ending in NY. My dog pointed in excess of 200 woodcock. She has pointed about 20 grouse and we moved a bunch more. The dog had over 50 birds killed over her between myself and several friends. I am hoping to get out tomorrow and see how the grouse have fared over the deer season.

I hunt a lot of the same areas as Mikes pal in Western NY, so he and I are in the same general areas. However, my season last year was pretty good too, as were the 2 before that as well. So my view is that woodcock numbers are on the rise. It could be that my dog is 6 and is in her prime. I also take about 12 vacation days for woodcock season and screw off from work most of the other days as well!

Last edited by belton3006; 12/12/08 12:11 PM.
Sidelock
Sidelock

I haven't posted in a long while. My wife informed me that Jeff G had posted a couple of photos of us and I should check out the thread. I'm the more distinguished looking of the two. Jeff is the better shot. In another 15 yrs. he'll be distinguished looking too -- and maybe still be a good shot. Brian, I know you are a Fox fancier. The gun I'm holding in the bottom photo along with the woodcock is a .16 ga. Fox Sterlingworth that I re-stocked myself. It's a nice gun.
It's heartening to learn that others have had a good year with woodcock. The numbers in Otsego and Delaware county covers where I do most of my hunting had few of the little birds this year. There has been an alarming fall-off in numbers from the last several years. At least this doesn't seem to be a general trend. Grouse numbers in my covers have been extraordinary. Six to seven birds an hour were commonplace, and while it is never certain some aren't re-flushes, most of these were fresh birds. I would like to post a photo of this year's hunt with Jeff and close friend, Bill C., both of whom brought down three grouse (Mt. Birds) apiece, which I regard as a signal achievement. Each bird is a genuine trophy. To bring home three is special. I may be able to forward the photo to Jeff and have him do it. I shot only blanks, but then I was shooting a .28 ga. I'm thinking of moving up to the big bores like Jeff was using. Like some aborigines, I remain firmly convinced it's the loud BANG that brings them down.
Best wishes for a safe return home, Brian.
Will

Sidelock
Sidelock

Hi Will, Thanks for joining us. Now as for big bore that day I was using a 1940 16ga Francotte O/U (sorry Guys), hmmm I guess compared to a 28 ga the 16 is a big bore. Will is a fine shot who is currently nursing an injured shoulder. Here aare the photos.

Thanks, Jeff

Brian Offline OP
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Fellas,
Thankls. I am hunting vicariously through all of you.

Dave,
where is Dicks Coutry Store? looks interesting.

Will S. : I know my bird hunting buddy ahs shot in Del CTY an d lots of birds. where (in general terms) do you hunt Delaware County?

Thnkas guys. i appreciate the photos and stories.

Brian

Brian
LTC, USA Ret.
NRA Patron Member
AHFGCA Life Member
USPSA Life Member

Sidelock
Sidelock

Originally Posted By: Brian
Fellas,
Thankls. I am hunting vicariously through all of you.

Dave,
where is Dicks Coutry Store? looks interesting.

Brian

Brian--glad to help, I like looking at them myself! Sorry, but the terms of the non-disclosure agreement I signed forbid me to divulge that information (but I honestly don't know except that it's somewhere along rte 11, more east than west).

Last edited by David Furman; 12/14/08 01:20 PM.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.