May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
4 members (Jtplumb, Craigster, WJW, Jolly Bill), 323 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,522
Posts545,768
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Got more information today on FN. Full name on concave rib, Fabrique Nationale D'Armes De Guerre Herstal Belgique. Serial number 6125 has assisted opening, chopper lump barrels, auto ejectors. On barrel flats D= 65mm over 20.5. So it is 2 1/2" chambers. What does the 20.5 stand for? Also on barrel flats P1 436, K over P.V. Chokes 183 ?, but there are other symbols there I couldn't make out. Plus there were more synbols on barrel flats I couldn't identify. Rounded pistol grip, and at least 22 lpi checkering.
Blue Book of Gun Values only listed pistols and rifles.
As I stated before any informaton would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks, David

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

The most valuable info I gan give is; GET IT!!

JC(AL)

"...it is always advisable to perceive clearly our ignorance."ť Charles Darwin
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

JayCee, I know, but I still would like some information. Can't find anything on the web. All information on FN is mostly military. Would at least like to find the year of manufacture and if anyone has one or has owned one. If I hadn't already bought three used L.C. Smiths this year,I definitly would get this one, so I'm kinda "gun shy" right now.

David

Sidelock
Sidelock

JDW; The 20.5 is the dia of the chamber in MM's just in front of the Rim C'Bore. This converts to .807". Normally on a 12ga chamber this runs to 20.6 (.811) so may be a slightly tight chamber. I believe though, this is rounded to the nearest .1mm so may in fact only be a couple of thousandths small which could be partially accounted for by the shorter chamber. This marking became mandatory about 1893 I believe on all guns given the supplementary smokeless powder proof (PV) & remained in effect until 1924 when the chamber marking was replaced by nominal ga & length in large stylized C, thus C12-65, with the "C" enclosing the 12-65 except for the open right end. 1 436 would be the wt of bbls only in KG (3.166lbs). If you look real close that should be a rearing lion over the PV. PV incidently is Poudre Vive. Someone else will have to give a literal translation, but from a practical standpoint it means smokeless powder proof.

Miller/TN
I Didn't Say Everything I Said, Yogi Berra
Sidelock
Sidelock

Photo is needed.
Most of FN guns as soon as its are not Browning are real clunkers! One of these "sidelocks" is on the photo. Be aware.

Geno.
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Miller, thanks for the info. Next time I go look at it I will take a magnifying loop and look closer. Any idea as to age?

Geno, looks just like that one, has the cross bolt also, checkering on yours is not as fine. I can't believe they are clunkers with all the extras, assisted opening, cross bolt, chopper lump barrels, auto ejectors, good wood and nice checkering.

David

The model shown by Geno cost less then a FN boxlock in the 20s. My gunsmith said it had a simple type of sidelock. I don't think the boxlock was a clunker and not the later type of side-lock FN made (model 1930?).

Sidelock
Sidelock

The only FN double I ever saw was a BLNE with english grip and splinter forend. A 12, it weighed about 6lb. 10 oz. and was a very finely made gun. I dunno about FN "clunkers". Remember that they also made the Browning O/U which was another very finely put together gun. Chopper

Sidelock
Sidelock

This one on photo was real clunker, believe me, guys. We sold it hardly for $500 only.
Re. the original post, as I said photos are needed.

Geno.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.