May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
6 members (canvasback, susjwp, Jason Dubois, FelixD, 2 invisible), 154 guests, and 4 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,547
Posts546,170
Members14,423
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#115466 10/03/08 04:21 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Do most Ruger #1's out of the box shoot well enogh for most hunting situations,lets say deer or elk out to 200 yards? My .270 seems to "climb" a bit on the bench. Unlike my Cooper single shot bolt in .257 , which is much more consistent. thank you, Paul

Last edited by hammerback; 10/03/08 04:25 PM.
hammerback #115471 10/03/08 04:35 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

What's the barrel weight? i.e. contour. If it's a sporter the more/rapid you fire it the more the bullet strike will move. A single shot sporter weight barrel isn't made to be shot more than one or two times in more than 1 minute or so.

Mike Harrell #115545 10/04/08 10:27 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

IMO the short answer to your question is, not necessarily. In my admittedly limited experience with the No 1 (6-8 rifles worked), I've found that some factory rifles shoot fine and some don't, about equally distributed. Frank de Haas in his seminal work Single Shot Rifles and Actions deals with the Ruger in some detail and offers accuracy & barrel-bedding suggestions, and he offers more ideas with more detail in his work Mr Single Shot's Gunsmithing Idea Book. Also Karl Bosselmann wrote a number of extremely informative Ruger No 1 articles for the ASSRA Journal in past years, and I believe they're now available collected into a book.

I've found the factory No 1s to run the accuracy gamut all the way from terrible to fairly accurate but most are not acceptable as-is IMO, at least not to an accuracy shooter. Their barrels are mediocre for the most part, their forearm bedding is problematical and their ribs often give POI-shift trouble when the barrel heats up. The forearm bedding and rib conditions can be easily corrected by a careful workman and most Ruger barrels will then shoot adequately, but if I were you I wouldn't count on an out-of-the-box uncorrected No 1 shooting better than 2-3 MOA when fired normally. The books mentioned above contain about the best Ruger accuracy info that's readily available to most folks, and I recommend them highly.

Just FYI, the Ruger isn't the only single shot plagued with accuracy issues. My friend Richard K commissioned a Miller-de Haas walking varminter custom rifle from Cyle (sp?) Miller himself several years ago, before the Dakota/Miller debacle occurred, and was somewhat disappointed in its accuracy performance. When fired normally, it would string shots in a predictable vertical pattern over a 3-4 MOA range and of course this was not acceptable. One shot every five minutes yielded tight 1-MOA groups but normal firing caused the shots to spread immediately. Examination disclosed that Miller had installed not one but two barrel bedding blocks that were attached to both the barrel and the forearm wood; the rearmost served as the forearm mounting point in the typical manner but the forwardmost appeared to be merely the attachment for the forward sling swivel. Once this forward swivel base had been detatched from the barrel and the forearm wood relieved so that it didn't touch the receiver face, the rifle settled down and began to group well even when fired fairly rapidly. Of course this poor performance was completely unexpected and unacceptable in a multi-thousand-dollar custom rifle but it's typical of problems frequently encountered in rifles with 2-piece stocks.

There are two simple yet often very effective accuracy improvements detailed in the books and articles mentioned above, one (actually several) involving the forearm hanger and the other involving the rib. The subject is too extensive to properly cover here and I suggest that you try to borrow or buy the books if sufficiently interested. Also there are several smiths specializing in Rugers and so professional help is avaiable if needed.
Good luck, Joe

You can lead a man to logic but you can't make him think. NRA Life since 1976. God bless America!

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.