May
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4
5 6 7 8 9 10 11
12 13 14 15 16 17 18
19 20 21 22 23 24 25
26 27 28 29 30 31
Who's Online Now
0 members (), 1,139 guests, and 2 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,513
Posts545,667
Members14,419
Most Online1,344
Apr 29th, 2024
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#112334 09/11/08 08:31 PM
Sidelock
OP Offline
Sidelock

Hello all:
I am considering the purchase of a fine English SXS with sleeved barrels. The work was well done but at some time in the past. Now the silver-solder line is showing up around both barrels where they join the monoblock. I am wondering what are the possibilities and need some technical guidance.

Has anyone had sleeved barrels re-sleeved? I spoke with Mr. Kirk Merrington today and he says that the existing barrels (they are in good shape BTW) cannot be removed without destroying them. Re-sleeving will cost $3000. Yikes!

Another well respected gunsmith in England says that the barrels can be sweated off, saved, prepared and then TIG welded back on at a cost of $1000. Big savings if it works. I understand that TIG welded seams are more easily disguised. Has anyone had this done?

If I go this route, I'd like to find someone here in the USA who could do this kind of work and do it properly without the shipping hassles.

If I could find some technique to blacken the silver scar, that might work, but I am dubious that it would ever be permanent.

I don't know if just the seam could be welded, without removing the barrels, thereby eliminating the visible seam.

Another option would be to just walk away from the deal.

Any technical advice or other options would be welcome.

The only constant in life is change.
Sidelock
Sidelock

If the silver line bothers you pass on the deal.....

gunut
Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar used to make an effort to wipe steel onto the joint as he finished the barrels. This can result in a deposit of steel over the joint. If the joint is brass colored it is silver soldered. If it is gray or silver it is soft solder which can be touched up with a blacking agent.
By wiping I mean he worked only in one direction, no back and forth, up and down or circular motion.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Oscar used to make an effort to wipe steel onto the joint as he finished the barrels. This can result in a deposit of steel over the joint. If the joint is brass colored it is silver soldered. If it is gray or silver it is soft solder which can be touched up with a blacking agent.
By wiping I mean he worked only in one direction, no back and forth, up and down or circular motion.
bill

Sidelock
Sidelock

Brownells makes a product called SolderBlack - http://www.brownells.com/aspx/NS/store/P...0SOLDER%20BLACK

I would also assume that the barrels could be sweated off without destroying them.

Sidelock
Sidelock

I agree with gunut. If they bothered me that much I would pass on the deal. I have a buddy who has a beautiful Joseph Lang that has been sleeved and it doesn't bother him at all. It is a gorgeous gun and he has a great time breaking great skeet scores with it.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark: Whether you can see the seam or not, the gun is still sleeved and its value remains the same. Some sleeve jobs are less visible than others, but you can almost always find the seam if you look for it. As has been said, if the seam bothers you, pass on the gun, as there are many more to choose from. But if the price is right, remember that many a fine antique Brit has been sleeved, and while priced at a discount, many see it as a bonus, because the useful life has been extended on someone else's dime, you don't have to worry about old and fatigued tubes, etc. Good luck. TT

"The very acme of duck shooting is a big 10, taking ducks in pass shooting only." - Charles Askins
Sidelock
Sidelock

Mark,

Two questions. First, do you like the feel of the gun? Second, is the gun properly priced?

If the answer to both question is yes, go ahead and buy it. If you shoot it well and decide it's a keeper decide just how offensive the line is. If you can't live with it, send it off to an engraver and have him lay on a simple pattern of the type used by the Italians on their monoblocs. The shipping will cost you more than the work. The engraving will hold any of various coloring agents including paint. Lines gone.

Sidelock
Sidelock

If you send it to someone else in the US Kirk will probably end up with it anyway.Are you sure the price in England was dollars and not pounds.Easiest way to cover now would be a fine bead blast and rust blue.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Nothing wrong with properly sleeved barrels.You can disguise the seem using Zeebo or Zeebrite.Many a Yank has expressed a desire to buy my sleeved Higham 28 guage, but she is not for sale, EVER.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.