April
S M T W T F S
1 2 3 4 5 6
7 8 9 10 11 12 13
14 15 16 17 18 19 20
21 22 23 24 25 26 27
28 29 30
Who's Online Now
7 members (Jtplumb, eeb, buckstix, PALUNC, ClapperZapper, 1 invisible), 967 guests, and 6 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums10
Topics38,475
Posts545,172
Members14,409
Most Online1,335
Apr 27th, 2024
Print Thread
#81841 02/07/08 04:42 PM
Lldub Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

Attached are a few pics of my Edwinson Green pinfire, Serial #65.

I know that he was a respected english maker, but does anyone know a little more about him that would help my judge the quality of this gun. From what little I've been able to figure out, it's mid 1860s or so. I WISH I had a pic of the barrel stamps, but I can take some if anyone has an interest. Lastly, if anyone knows a source for pinfire ammo, I'd appreciate it. When I bought it I thought it'd make a cool centerfire conversion gun, but I can't bring myself to have someone attempt that. I do recall the barrels are proofed for 3 dr 1 1/8 oz loads, which surprised me. Thanks.

Lldub #81843 02/07/08 04:55 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

That's a beauty!

Sidelock
Sidelock

Here is a site dedicated to pinfire.
http://www.hammerdouble.com/index.html

That is a very nice gun. Yes, I would like to see the markings, especially anything on the bottom of the barrels.

Pete

PeteM #81847 02/07/08 05:26 PM
Sidelock
Sidelock

Lldub it doesn't matter who made that gun, it's a very very nice gun. I shoot 16ga pinfire. I bought the cases from hammerdouble company. They sell everything you need.

Sidelock
Sidelock

Edwinson Green was a very fine gunmaker of Cheltenham Gloucestershire.He built a one of the first O/U and patented it this was subsequently bought by Purdey.Original Purdey O/U's were indeed E C Green patents.I think George Gibbs of Bath then bought the name and the manufacturing rights.
E C Green is well documented, you have a very fine gun made by a very highly regarded artisan.Reloading Pinfire cartridges is no big deal.If you get all the basic bits from the link above you will be set up.I used to make my own from std 12 guage but I had to machine the chamber rim to accomodate which spoils the originality of the gun.Better to use custom made brass cases unless of course you have a supply of old pinfire cases?????
Good luck she's a beauty.

Lldub #81941 02/08/08 09:34 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

As stated above, you must separate the Original Quality grade from the maker's name. With the (possible) exception of Boss, most makers made/sold guns in a wide range of quality grade. Quality grade was what determined original price. Fabricating shops were run/staffed by masters. There were no big secrets as to design, material of workmanship. The price paid determined the quality made. This is the very essence of the proverb, "Buy the gun, not the name!"

The modern USA market can be estimated for 1890ish-1960ish 12 bore typical guns based on the Brand Value level of the maker's name, the Original Quality grade, and the Current Condition level. Pinfires seem to be priced more as antiques than as working guns. I'd call your gun an upper mid quality gun from a known maker and in good current condition.

Salopian #81943 02/08/08 09:55 AM
Sidelock
Sidelock

According to Boothroyd, E.C.Green, a Birmingham trained gunmaker, established business in 1863 at, 87 High Street, Cheltenham. The last recorded address of the business is given in 1983 as; Edwinson Green & Sons, 99 High Street,Cheltenham. Edwinson green was a prolific inventor. In addition to the over and under , which as stated by "Salopian', was adopted by Purdey for their early over and unders, he also has to his credit a three barrel gun [Used by Westley Richards] and various pistol patents. I have Edwinson Green O/U 12.G, S.L.E. #6896 made in 1913. This gun exhibits the same high quality as seen in the Pinfire illustrated. Incidentally because my shooting days are drawing to a close, this gun is currently offered for sale in the Double Gun Journal.

Roy Hebbes
PeteM #82779 02/14/08 11:11 AM
Lldub Offline OP
Boxlock
OP Offline
Boxlock

PeteM asked for a pic of the barrel markings. It took me a while, but they're below. I noticed there were a couple of stampings on the underside rib. It's hard to see them, but they're "CA" and "JP". Probably the barrel makers (not the tubes themselves, of course)?

Also, I know there's some guys here that really know damascus and I'd be intereted in knowing what kind of damascus the barrels are. Thanks, should someone have an opinion.

Link Copied to Clipboard

doublegunshop.com home | Welcome | Sponsors & Advertisers | DoubleGun Rack | Doublegun Book Rack

Order or request info | Other Useful Information

Updated every minute of everyday!

Copyright (c) 1993 - 2024 doublegunshop.com. All rights reserved. doublegunshop.com - Bloomfield, NY 14469. USA These materials are provided by doublegunshop.com as a service to its customers and may be used for informational purposes only. doublegunshop.com assumes no responsibility for errors or omissions in these materials. THESE MATERIALS ARE PROVIDED "AS IS" WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESS OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING BUT NOT LIMITED TO, THE IMPLIED WARRANTIES OF MERCHANT-ABILITY, FITNESS FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE, OR NON-INFRINGEMENT. doublegunshop.com further does not warrant the accuracy or completeness of the information, text, graphics, links or other items contained within these materials. doublegunshop.com shall not be liable for any special, indirect, incidental, or consequential damages, including without limitation, lost revenues or lost profits, which may result from the use of these materials. doublegunshop.com may make changes to these materials, or to the products described therein, at any time without notice. doublegunshop.com makes no commitment to update the information contained herein. This is a public un-moderated forum participate at your own risk.

Note: The posting of Copyrighted material on this forum is prohibited without prior written consent of the Copyright holder. For specifics on Copyright Law and restrictions refer to: http://www.copyright.gov/laws/ - doublegunshop.com will not monitor nor will they be held liable for copyright violations presented on the BBS which is an open and un-moderated public forum.