doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dilly541 Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 03:41 PM
Hi fellas, I am considering a purchase of a 16ga Sauer SxS. The model I am not sure of and I am trying to determine how old it is (if it is pre-WW2) or not. It has cocking indicator pins and seems in decent condition. Here are some pictures...

Any help or advice is appreciated.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 03:51 PM
Dilly541,
There is glare on the photo, but I read it as Jan. 1934. It has 2 1/2- 2 9/16" chambers and both barrels are choked, but amount of constriction is not shown( usually tight).
Mike
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 04:59 PM
Thank you Mike. You confirmed my suspicions. The seller says it is 2 3/4” and chokes are mod and light full. Won’t be able to confirm until it is in my hands. Short chamber is not a deal breaker for me.
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 05:01 PM
Anyone here had issues with those plastic trigger guards? This one is cracked at the screw, which I imagine is fairly typical.
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 05:34 PM
If original, trigger guard material is very probably buffalo horn, not plastic.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 08:43 PM
Dilly541,
The proofmarks say it is short chambered, but it could have been rechambered and not re-proofed sometime in the last 85 years. The trigger guard can be repaired, but horn is a little tricky. I recommend sending it to some one to repair.
Mike
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/27/19 09:40 PM
Copy that. Thanks again guys
Posted By: Kutter Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/28/19 12:09 PM
The trigger guards being a 'natural' material, horn in this instance, glue up extremely well with 'super glue'.
The parts have to be clean as always, but the stuff will glue horn, leather, your fingers, ect together with excl results.

The Walther SxS shotguns used Bakelite or similar plastic material for their trigger guards and safety buttons.
Those have a strip of steel reinforcement inside the triggerguard casting but they still crack. Probably more from age than anything else.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Sauer SxS - help needed - 08/28/19 02:08 PM
Kutter,
In the "olden days", horn gave us fits with 2 part epoxy and we had to set a couple pins across the joint for reinforcement. Thanks for the hint.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com