doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Catawba Looking for information.. - 07/23/19 10:02 PM
I inherited an old 16 gauge side by side a few years back from my grandad when he passed. I was never told about the gun prior to his passing, my mom vaguely remembers the gun being in her grandmothers house when she was growing up. It is very ornate, appears to be German. With the only writing on the gun being in the barrel reading Robert Michel Muhlhausen I/TH. Trying to place when and where the gun came from. Any information will be greatly appreciated.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Looking for information.. - 07/23/19 10:53 PM
Catawba,
The gun seems to be German. We can tell you much more if you post photos of the gun, including photos of all markings, especially the markings under the barrels. Was your grandfather a WW2 veteran?
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Looking for information.. - 07/23/19 10:56 PM
Mühlhausen, seems Michel was active in the 1880s & up to the turn of the century. More than likely he was a >>Country Gunsmith<<(firearms merchant) & sourced his wears from Zella-Mehlis or Suhl with a lesser probability for Liège. But images of the marks will point to the city & possibly the actual maker.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Catawba Re: Looking for information.. - 07/23/19 11:13 PM
Guys I greatly appreciate the responses. My grandad was just a boy during WW2 the gun is believed to be his fathers. As far as I know. I’m out of town on business but will post as many pictures as possible when I get back. I started down this rabbit hole a little over a month ago and was referred to this site.

These are a few pictures that I have on my phone.

https://postimg.cc/gallery/3gf3vedc0/
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Looking for information.. - 07/23/19 11:50 PM
War trophy for sure & although it has clockhand cocking or loaded indicators, that 3 or 4 hole spanner looking dolls head extention may point to sourcing a Belgian platform or maybe it is all Zella-Mehlis. Take the forend off & there will be marks under it.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: skeettx Re: Looking for information.. - 07/24/19 12:00 AM

© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com