doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jeff S Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/06/19 08:54 PM
As I mentioned a few weeks ago, I recently purchased a 10 ga. Charles Daley Hammer gun, circa 1885. Let me first say that 3 weeks ago I visited a pheasant farm, and that 10 ga. really knocks them down. However, I'm new to hammer guns and I have to learn how to use it properly. If I shoot the right barrel, break the gun open, replace the spent shell with a new shell, the gun will not close. This is because the "left" firing pin is protruding and it hits the extractor, which prevents the gun from closing. If I push the firing pin in with my finger, the gun closes easily. I don't mind doing this, but it seems unlikely that the firing pin and extractors would have survived 135 years of use with this interference. When I received the gun, I had a gunsmith inspect it, and partially disassemble it, and he stated that it never had "springs" on the firing pins. Is there a special technique for operating this fine gun, or do I just need to be extremely careful whenever I close it? Jeff
Posted By: Recoil Rob Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/06/19 09:10 PM
Is the left cocked? What happens if you only cock and fire the right side?
Posted By: Jeff S Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/06/19 11:43 PM
Well.... that's a fair question. Today I was shooting "clays" in the field with my family. I was only using, and only cocking the right barrel. I had not cocked the left barrel.
Posted By: Hammergun Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/07/19 01:52 AM
I had a gun that the extractor would hit the pins on closing. I added springs and solved the problem. I don't know if it had springs originally, but it does now.
Posted By: Jeff S Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/07/19 12:00 PM
Interesting. Thanks for the tip.
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/07/19 03:22 PM
Jeff S,
Repeatedly firing one barrel, without a shell/cartridge or snap cap in the other, allows inertia from the repeated recoil to jam the firing pin forward( sometimes even if it has springs). Don't ask how I know this.
Mike
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/07/19 08:28 PM
Mike,
This is something I will try to remember well.
Cheers,
Jani
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/07/19 09:50 PM
Jani,
"While I have you on the line", Do you know of a source for factory loaded 6.5x58R S&S ammo ( NO reloads-I do my own)?
Mike
Posted By: Jeff S Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/08/19 12:08 AM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Jeff S,
Repeatedly firing one barrel, without a shell/cartridge or snap cap in the other, allows inertia from the repeated recoil to jam the firing pin forward( sometimes even if it has springs). Don't ask how I know this.
Mike

It's really funny that you mentioned shooting just the right barrel. Today, I shot my first round of skeet using this hammer gun. I shot a 17, which isn't bad for my first round with it. I really need to focus on swinging those heavy barrels. I was "behind" the clay a few times. Anyway, I realized that when I shot the "doubles" (stations 1, 2, 6 and 7) I didn't have the problem. As I was driving home I concluded that next time, while shooting singles, I would load both barrels, but only cock one of the hammers (both barrels are choked the same). Eventually I may have learn how to reload these shells. One round of skeet equals $40 for RST shells.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/08/19 02:30 AM
Or subgauge inserts.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/08/19 10:01 AM
Mike,
Sorry, no source of factory 6.5x58R S&S ammo to my knowledge. The nearest would be Waffen Dorfner of Vienna who load this and other calibers to CIP specifications (at high prices).
Cheers,
Jani
Posted By: Der Ami Re: Hammer Gun Operating Technique - 04/08/19 08:21 PM
Thanks Jani
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com