doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: steve white loden apparel - 11/05/18 10:19 PM
Noticing that the U.S. location for Jagdhund hunting apparel is in Bessemer Alabama, I cannot help but wonder--how many hunters utilize the green loden outfit? I sometimes feel I am the only one in my part of Texas...
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/06/18 02:36 PM
Steve,
Most of my Loden is now in pretty bad shape and since I live in Alabama, I got pretty excited by your posting and went right to their site. I was disappointed by the selection( but I understand small demand=small selection), but the main thing was their prices. I can see now why young Germans seem to be moving away from traditional clothing.
Mike
Posted By: steve white Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 01:48 AM
Mike, the funny thing is, loden--boiled wool, was originally the clothing of the poorer classes. I got mine through Beretta, but though it was a little more than I wanted to pay, it was way less than half of the Jagdhund prices...so I agree with you there. The best deal I ever got on loden pants was in Austria in the Ferlach gunshop of ____ oh shoot--don't get old it ain't good for ya.
Posted By: steve white Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 01:50 AM
Fanjoi--had to look it up.
Posted By: steve white Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 02:00 AM
May I redirect the discussion to those who may wear loden green in color but NOT in wool construction?
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 03:56 PM
I got mine at Waffen Frankonia( now Frankonia Jagd), by shopping in the Wuerzburg store and watching for items that were marked down. This way was pretty economical, where full price there was pretty expensive too.
Mike
Posted By: steve white Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 08:15 PM
It's amazing how much is for sale on ebay.
Posted By: Dave in Maine Re: loden apparel - 11/07/18 11:24 PM
Originally Posted By: Der Ami
Steve,
Most of my Loden is now in pretty bad shape and since I live in Alabama, I got pretty excited by your posting and went right to their site. I was disappointed by the selection( but I understand small demand=small selection), but the main thing was their prices. I can see now why young Germans seem to be moving away from traditional clothing.
Mike

Thing is, the younger Germans are actually getting into wearing traditional clothing - Trachtenmode. E.g.
https://www.nytimes.com/2018/10/10/world/europe/germany-bavaria-dirndl-lederhosen.html
I saw it a couple years ago in Stuttgart. They had the Fruhlingsfest while I was there (think Oktoberfest in May, but mostly Germans and not tourists). All the kids were going nightly and especially on weekends all done up. Signs in the hair salons encouraging girls to get their hair done in all the braids (and they did). There was Trachtenmode on sale in the department stores. One could get a complete getup for like 200 Euros.
See the same thing in the Munich paper every year come Oktoberfest: articles on what's the fashion in dirndls this year, how to tie the apron (knot on the left hip = single, right hip = got a boyfriend, middle back = widow or waitress, middle front = jungfrau), etc., etc.
I think it's a sign of re-emergence of German-ness and German identity, particularly in the face of "Europe" and the large-scale immigration they've gone through, not only of refugees in the last couple years but also since internal European borders came down and the EU expended eastward. Or it could just be a long-term fad.
As to the loden, it's darned expensive and that might be as good a reason as any for why it's not as popular (if that's the case).
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/08/18 07:27 PM
Dave in Maine,
Trachtenmode is definitely not traditional hunting clothing. Hunters hardly ever, if ever wore kurzhosen; and then only the hardest core bergjaeger. I hunted with a Bavarian berufjaeger in the Alps and he wore kniebundhosen, just as I did. Wide brim hats were widely available and often worn, but I couldn't find one in the above advertisements. Traditional color was olive green, but grey, brown,
or black were acceptable. Red or hunter orange were considered an insult to the other hunters "ansprechen" ability; but is now required at some hunts. It is all distressing to this old Jaeger. Maybe the revival of the old traditions will bleed over to the hunters clothing.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/08/18 09:35 PM
Mike, you would be a good German! wink Here are the two best sellers of Loden clothes and accessories :

Hubertus Loden

Waldkauz

They offer very functional style Loden.
Of course there are also still several traditional manufacturers, especially in Bavaria and Austria.

Gunwolf
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/08/18 11:08 PM
Gunwolf,
Thanks,
Mike
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 12:10 AM
Maybe, but I just don't think I could ever cotton to knickers.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 03:03 PM
Raimey,
They are great, especially if made of leather(lederhosen). My wife loved then too. I have a pair for winter made of elch( moose) leather, and a pair for summer, made of kalb( calf) leather. I wore them most every day and my wife didn't have to wash them. For old jaegers, the more they "shine" on the front, the better( sign of use, experience). An old saying was when they will stand up by them selves, they are right. They are easy to wear boots with, easy to climb in, and don't "ride up".
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 05:46 PM
Mike, once more, you know the German hunting traditions perfectly!
Yes, leather trousers are perfect for hunting. Usually a boy only needs two pairs of Lederhose: a long (3/4) one and a short one.
I wear my leather trousers for more than 40 years, they are made of wild buck, but really perfect are they made of Red Stag, best of European Stag. It#s the best leather for use in summer as well as in winter. And yes! Mine are nearly standing up by themselves! wink
Loden and leather still are very nice materials for hunters needs. For example standing near the fire is not as dangerous as with the modern fabrics...

Gunwolf
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 05:50 PM
This is a very traditional tailor of Loden outfits in Austria near the German border to Bavari. I just ordered a custom made jacket, similar to the "Kitzstein" model, but with some details of my own. And he also makes a Loden trouser for me. By the way, I prefere the light brown Loden...

Loden Kern

Gunwolf
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 10:05 PM
Gunwolf,
Thanks,
Do you have a link for traditional hunting parkas, mantels, and wide brimmed hats? Loden is quiet, warm, and keeps most of it's warmth when wet, and comfortable.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 10:29 PM
Mike, there are several, here a few:

traditional and stylish, not cheap but very good quality:

Franken & Cie.

traditional:

Alpen lifestyle

very traditional coats, jackets, trousers etc.:

Trachtenmode

Loden-Parka:

Forstbekleidung

All:

Loden für die Jagd

Waidmannsheil!
Gunwolf
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 11:27 PM
Wolfgang:

On that last link, on the page that surfaces 1st, on the left the fella w/ the Vizsla, or whatever it is, what is that name of the striking full length jacket the fella is wearing?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 11:35 PM
Raimey, that's the Ansitz Lodenmantel Forest, a coat for sitting in the cold.

Ansitz Lodenmantel

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 11:35 PM
Quite a fetching coat to say the least. Seems like a value on the jacket in the link?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 11:38 PM
Yes, but maybe a bit too warm for Alabama... ,but of course best for the Eifel!

Cheer,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/09/18 11:54 PM
Probably not tonight or the next few nights but yes for the remainder of the nights. I do have the shorter version under the banner Rascher & Steinbock.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 12:01 AM
Ah, really!? Rascher is a good brand for Loden!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 12:09 AM
Yes, it is a lovely coat for very cold destinations. I use it as an under layer w/ a wax cotton or polyester jacket when FRCs & high-vis jackets are mandated.

It is similar to the link below:

https://www.rascher-shop.de/product_info...0tp7d38ubfl44q1

But instead of Thinslate it has a AQA membrane w/ Cashmere. Most comfortable.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 12:14 AM
The Ansitz Mantel also is very nice:

Rascher

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 12:16 AM
Raimey, what means FRCs?
Posted By: ellenbr Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 12:29 AM
Flame Retardant/Resistant Clothing...... sorry.....

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/10/18 09:59 PM
Wolfgang,
Thanks for the effort in posting the links. They really make me a little homesick.
Mike
Posted By: Gunwolf Re: loden apparel - 11/11/18 12:09 AM
Mike, I think you had a good time in Germany and you have learned to know our old hunting tradtion. I'm happy to revive your memories of those days!

Waidmannsheil!
Wolfgang
Posted By: Der Ami Re: loden apparel - 11/11/18 05:11 PM
Wolfgang,
You are correct,
Waidmannsdank(for the memories).
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com