doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Chukarman Granite Mountain G33/40 - 09/25/18 10:20 PM
I was in their shop in Phoenix a couple weeks ago and got to look at a double square bridge G33/40 style Mauser action. I am thinking of having a left hand G33/40 made in 7 X 57. Does anyone have one of these actions and, if so, what has been your experience?
Posted By: rtw Re: Granite Mountain G33/40 - 09/25/18 10:45 PM
I have a custom .270 Winchester that was built using a WWII G33/40 by the late Tom Burgess in the 1980's. The G33/40 was desired because of the small ring enabling a bit smaller/lighter barrel and because it generated lots of opportunity for revenue for the gunsmith, IMO and you ended up with a great custom rifle on a somewhat rare action. You needed custom bottom metal, a 3-position safety, new trigger, new bolt handle, new barrel, new iron sights, scope bases, new stock, screws, etc., etc.

For a Mountain Rifle, it was the "ideal" way to go when I had mine built.

There must be quite a few lighter actions available these days. In the 80's we were trying to get an 8# rifle with ammo, scope and sling. Lots of folks can easily beat that if weight is a consideration.

7X57 is a fine round in any action. You may want to chamber it in 275 Rigby.

I know nothing about Granite Mountain and their actions.
Posted By: xausa Re: Granite Mountain G33/40 - 09/26/18 01:41 PM
This is my 7X57 built on a G 33/40 action, with alloy bottom metal, Dayton Traister trigger and a Buehler low scope safety. The 22" barrel profile duplicates that of a pre-64 Model 70 Winchester Featherweight. The metal work, including the bolt handle, was done by my friend Harry Creighton. The stock is by Reinhardt Fajan.

I had it built back in 1974 to take on a hunting trip in Kenya for the benefit of my girl friend who was accompanying me. She decided against hunting, preferring to stick to photography, so I used it to take several head of game, up to and including wildebeest, and a record book Peters' gazelle. It has remained one of my favorites over the years.

Posted By: rtw Re: Granite Mountain G33/40 - 09/26/18 08:31 PM
Sweet!
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com