doublegunshop.com - home
A long, long time ago, at a gun show in Hartford, CT, I bought a 19th century German percussion target pistol. It was missing its ramrod, and the action spring was too weak to work properly. I didn't know anyone who worked on antique guns and all this was long before the Internet, so it sat as an ornament all these years.

More recently, I bought at a provincial auction a 19th century revolver that was not described as out of order, but I found when it arrived that it would not hold cock. I finally found someone to work on these, and both guns are getting repaired.

The gunsmith measured the bore and told me the percussion pistol was .485, essentially .50 caliber -- 12mm in European parlance.

I was looking for comparison photos to provide ramrod examples, and I found a couple of similar percussion German target pistols on-line. Guess what? They were also 12mm.

This suggests to my mind that there must have been a 19th century German target pistol match category using these kinds of pistols in just that caliber. The trick is finding out anything about it. I was looking just now for German-language firearms forums without much luck.

Anybody here know anything?

Posted By: ellenbr Re: German Percussion Target Pistol Shooting - 09/02/18 01:35 PM
Jani might be able to help? I've handled several and will look thru my images. For additional info, images of the marks on the underside of the tube would be needed. It may be an inland German piece or a Belgian platform completed by a German mechanic.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com