doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Dilly541 New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/14/18 08:23 PM
Hi folks. After patiently looking for some time, I have finally acquired a drilling. It has all the features I wanted and I am in the process of giving it a really deep cleaning and wood refinish. Its a Sauer 16x16 on top over a 7x65R below. It comes with a claw mounted Hensoldt Wetzlar "Diavari" scope at 1.5-6 power. Quite happy with the set up.

I am not sure of the actual model. Could someone verify if it is a 3000? The receiver is "Dural" (I think) and has ddep relief engraving.

Would this be considered a "Luxus" grade based on the wood and engraving?

The always helpful guys at 16ga.com suggested this gun would be stamped with the year of manufacture near the breech. Would you agree the 60 could be the year of mfg?

Anyway, its been ultrasonically cleaned and soon will be ready for use. I hope it goes back together.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/14/18 08:24 PM
I'd say so on the 1960. Blitz or trigger-plate action from 1960. Check the frame w/ a magnet.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/14/18 08:27 PM
Thanks. do you know what makes a "Colt" Sauer different from a German Sauer? This one has both German and English on it. I believe it was just imported from Europe before I got it.

Frame is definitely not steel.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/14/18 09:10 PM
Yeah, Colt was probably the importer & retailer. Sauer should have info w/ the serial number in their register.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/15/18 11:29 AM
You just may garner some info on Sauer modells w/ a purchase of a Sauer & Sohn Jagdwaffen Eckernförde catalogue as seen @

https://www.cornellpubs.com/old-guns/item_desc.php?item_id=636

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: MikeV Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/15/18 08:08 PM
Probably imported by Stoeger. Check the Shooter Bible for 1960 and you should see it there. Agree that 1960 is the year made.
mike
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/15/18 08:38 PM
Sorry guys, I should have stated, I believe it was only brought into Canada in the past month or so. I got it from Tradex. They buy bulk lots out of Northern Europe. At least, that is my suspicion.
Posted By: moses Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/16/18 02:20 AM
Now, what are we going after with it ?
O.M
Posted By: MikeV Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/16/18 12:54 PM
Just as an FYI-the 1958 through 1962 Stoegers Shooters Bible shows Sauer drillings, such as yours, as Sauer 3000 Lux-Dur. So I would say that it is a Sauer 3000. The only difference that I have seen between a Sauer 3000 and a Colt is that it is marked, I believe, as made for Colt by JP Sauer. Also, I have only seen Colts chambered in 12x12 over .243 or 30-06. There may have been others but I doubt it.
I suspect that the recoil pad has been added to yours. Nice firearm. Enjoy!
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/16/18 10:29 PM
Thanks for the info Mike. That pretty much confirms what I was thinking. The pad is marked “Mauser” so is likely a well fitted addition. There are no Colt markings either. Seems a European market gun. Luxus Dural
Posted By: Dilly541 Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 05/18/18 11:47 PM
Originally Posted By: moses
Now, what are we going after with it ?
O.M

Well, that’s the million dollar question. My intentions are to use it for as much as possible. 16ga serves me well for pheasant. The rifle should be good for deer and moose.
Clays will be first. A few rounds of skeet so we can get acquainted.
Posted By: Vol423 Re: New (to me) drilling...questions - 08/13/18 02:16 AM
These are Models 30 and 3000. Same gun. I have the same gun in 16 and 7X57R. My gun weighs 6 lb without scope. I had a teardrop shaped extension to the safety installed. It sticks up and makes the greener safety entirely usable.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com