doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Mike A. Current mounts for an M-S 1956 Stutzen? - 10/29/17 11:59 PM
Does any current manufacturer make scope mounts for a Mannlicher-Schoenauer Model 1956 "Stutzen" rifle? Or am I stuck with finding a used mount or having one made custom?

Old eyes now require a scope....the "Golden Years" have become the "Gold Ring Years"!
A couple options....

https://www.newenglandcustomgun.com/Gun_Services/Special_Scope_Mounts.asp

http://www.wattswalnut.com/ms_scope_bases.php

I have also managed to locate Paul Jaeger & Griffin & Howe side mounts on Ebay.
Also the Baush & Lomb/Kuharsky type pop up from time to time too.

I still have a Leupold "Adjusto" mount on my 1950 carbine and will most likely change it out to the Jaeger side mount at some point in time (I have the Jaeger mount already).

The largest challenge is the modern scopes have much larger eyepieces than the vintage units. On the Leupold "Adjusto" mount I had to use various precision arbor spacers to get the bolt handle to clear a nominal Leupold 1-5x20 90's vintage VXIII scope. I want to put a Zeiss Conquest on the gun in the future and will definitively have to go with a different mount.

Good luck!
Posted By: Mike A. Re: Current mounts for an M-S 1956 Stutzen? - 10/30/17 02:59 AM
Thanks, Dave. That's a good start. I have a copy of Stroebel's book on old sights and scopes and have a good idea of what used stuff to look for, but it's nice to see there are modern options, too. The big scope won't be a problem--I consider a 2x7 compact "a big scope"....
Not a perfect solution but the current Leupold VX-2 Compact series scopes have a 1.4" ocular diameter which provides more clearance for the bolt handle.

I have a 2x7 on my 1952 MS w/Jaeger side mount & medium height rings. It's the best I could do w/o going to high rings which I don't want even if I could locate some.

Another solution is a Leuopld Alaskan 7/8" tube scope which can be mounted lower & are not too difficult to find.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com