doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: Jeff S New Purchase: Simson - 01/24/17 02:51 AM
I recently purchased a 12 ga. Simson (made for Ivers Johnson). It's a cute little gun and I'm looking forward to chasing woodcock and partridge with it next fall. In the meantime I would like to learn a little more about it. Is there a way to identify the year and model from the serial number? The number on it is 25669. Since I'm brand new to the world of Simsons, any information is helpful. Have any reference books been written for Simsons?
Posted By: Ger Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/24/17 06:57 AM
See here:

http://www.germanhuntingguns.com/archives/archive-simson-co/

Ger
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/24/17 11:18 AM
Wow! How much do I owe you for all of this information. Thanks!!
Posted By: james-l Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/24/17 08:04 PM
Jeff, I also have a Simson that was sold by Iver-Johnson Sporting Goods. It is a petite 20ga ejector gun that is near new, probably sat in a gun cabinet most of its life. Cornell Publications has a Iver-Johnson Sporting Goods catalog that show the various grades they sold made by Somson. I my memory is correct it is from the early to mid 20s, I was able to identify my gun from the catalog.
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/24/17 11:55 PM
James, thanks for the tip. I ordered something last night, but I think it was the history of Simson. I'll check out the catalog.
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/25/17 12:00 AM
Also, last night I searched several old "threads" and I noticed that someone that goes by Raimey (ellenbrs) seems to know a lot about these old guns. Unfortunately I was not able to send him a "PM" because it's full. Does anyone know how to get ahold of him?
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/25/17 02:27 AM
Here's the only picture that I have right now. It has an aftermarket Miller trigger.

Posted By: Der Ami Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/25/17 02:27 PM
Jeff S,
Raimey is very helpful I'm sure he will respond to a pm request from you, unless he has gone off somewhere on a job, then he will likely respond when he returns.
Mike
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 01/29/17 02:23 AM
Yes, Raimey has been very helpful. I sent him pictures of the "proof stamps" and he has determined that it's a model 73E that was manufactured between 1920 and 1923. That sounds great to me. I'll keep doing research and hope for a few woodcock next fall.
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New Purchase: Simson - 02/05/17 02:48 PM

Interesting S&Co. stamp which I assume is an acronym for Simson & Co. and I'd say suggests that Simson was having to roll their own after WWI until an inland source could be found. Simsons wearing serialization in the 27k range are dated 1925 and I'm not just sure of how many examples they were rolling out each year, but I'd hazard a guess for the date between 1920 & early 1923. Not sure which Suhl H mechanic used the script H or he may have been a subcontractor.

Proper images by the way.

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 02/05/17 03:22 PM
Thanks Raimey, Great information!
Posted By: ellenbr Re: New Purchase: Simson - 02/05/17 04:37 PM
http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=327188

Here's another from early 1925 but not sure what the serialization might be?

Cheers,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: Jeff S Re: New Purchase: Simson - 02/06/17 05:16 PM
Thanks for sharing that "link". I find it very interesting that there is a lot of variation in these guns. Some of them have checkered "cheeks" and others don't. Some have engraved pistol grip "caps" and some have black caps. Thanks for sharing. Jeff
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com