doublegunshop.com - home

Kalibrator Olovnih Zrna - Croatian Text on a display in small museum in Istria (Croatia)

Lovely find of a device by a comrade of Jani's. Anyone want to hazard a guess as to its purpose? I don't know if Frank is view this but there's proof of square shot that would pair with your O. Geyger in Berlin sporting weapon.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse

I don't know...but it obviously mounted to a spindle or axel for some purpose. Perhaps for a step in quality control?
It's probably for making shot balls out of fluid lead by rotating. I think similiar as described here:

http://dingler.culture.hu-berlin.de/article/pj121/mi121mi01_4

(sorry, in German)

Kind regards,
Gunwolf
…or it is out of a sreening drum for assorting the shot.

Cheers,
Gunwolf
I think it is a guage for checking the size of shot, if it was for either making or sorting shot, I don't think it would have each hole a different size and marked as to size.
Mike
I think you are on point there Ford. A couple of the best guesses from across the globe are one being some means of extruding malleable metal, possibly wire, and the other is that it is a device that a vendor would carry with him to demonstrate to a potential client as to the regularity of his product. I'm sure it was not distributed or sold by a weights & measures(standard) entity so it would just be a check that all shot from a certain bin were consistently the same size(shot size standard), what size many not be know except for the number stamped on the gauge. I, and I'm sure along with Frank, am intrigued by the square shot segment. Do they sell a lot of square or cubic shot in Slovenia Jani?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
I fancy large shot especially 2s, Ts & Fs but that would only be say 5 - 6 mm in diameter. Naught, double naught & triple naught buck would be in the 8mm - 9mm range so I wonder if the numbers stamped on the device(pellet diameters?) are in mm and require a decimal? Might it be a diameter dimension for the spherical shot and what for the cubic(1 - 6)?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Some CZ shot size comparisions:

http://www.sellier-bellot.cz/shotgun-table-shots.php

Right off, I don't see any square or cubic shot.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, it was and is Not unusual:

http://www.shootinguk.co.uk/guns/ammunition/cartridge-test-the-hex-factor-1138

The new Winchester lead free shot ammo is six sided!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Thanks Wolfgang. I guess I need to pattern test some.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey, I got some Test packs from Browning and will try them soon.
Seem to be rather nice! We will see!

Cheers,
Wolfgang
BTW, I'm going to test it with the B725 20G UK version with 81cm barrels and I'm very curious about this combination. I think it's a real Fine Gun.

Cheers,
Wolfgang
Tight constriction, open or both?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Raimey,
I do remember reading how Mr. Puckle proposed square projectiles agains the Turks, but I do not remember seeing any such shot locally. On the other hand I remember my Grandfather telling me how in his youth local pouchers cut squerish shot from odd pieces of lead when they couldn't obtain proper round shot. "Lead grit" (sekanec) he called it.
With kind regards,
Jani
I think cubic shot was used in "spreader" loads for tightly choked barrels.
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com