doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: oskar Monolithic Bullets in thin drilling barrels. - 01/14/14 05:01 PM
With more and more call for abandoning lead for bullets what is the effect of shooting solid copper bullets in the thin barrels of a drilling? I hear horror stories of spit barrels and ribs loosening, are these true or just fear mongering over the elimination of lead?

I have some GMX 139gr bullets that I would like to use in my 7x57R but don't want to wreck it. Hornady didn't think is would be a problem with the grooves in the bullet but wouldn't commit to it being safe as they have never done any testing.
oskar,
The monolithic bullets with the relief grooves, may be OK;but I will not use them as long as I can get "cup and core"bullets,or cast my own. I often say you can use a bullet that fits into a fired case, but this absolutly does not hold for monolithic bullets,even with the grooves.
Mike
I was told by a buddy that A-Frame made some bronze solids years ago that put rifling on the outside of the barrel of some fine doubles. They had to buy several.
I don't mind a little experimenting so I started to use monolithic bullets (unbanded) in my bad weather drilling. The ammo is Lapua Naturalis, the "enviromental champion", and the drilling a dark bored Krieghoff 8x57IRS from the early 1950s. So far they like each other, accuracy wise. As for the longevity, time will tell...

With kind regards,
Jani
Banded bullets are the way to go, but first make sure that the bore dia. is not undersized for the caliber, and most importantly for the bullets you intend to use. Rifling type, according to G. Wright, Shooting the British DR, Chap. 13 can have an effect--the type which is slightly rounded in the grooves in particular (can't remember what that rifling is called...) gives the bullet the opportunity to push outward on the "hump" I would figure. Deep rifling made for the old lead projectiles to prevent lead from shearing off at higher velocities would be a bit deep for
monolithic projectiles without bands perhaps? Metallurgy is important, as it is even different between my Mods. 1908 and 1950 Mannlichers. A 1950's gun should have tougher metal than turn of the century. Speed of the projectile increases the odds of damage. Bullets for modern weapons are influenced by such things, and the extra thick steel jacket on a solid made for new weapons may be too stiff for older guns. Use discretion...Steve
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com