doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: MikeV Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/22/13 07:05 PM
Folks,
I picked up a 1908 Mannlicher-Schoenauer carbine a few weeks ago. Functionally it is in very good condition with a very nice bore.It has been re-blued and the stock refinished so it's value to me is as a shooter even though ammo is scarce.

The year of proof was 1908. It has a knob pistol grip and all appears as it should except that the stock does not have a cheek piece. My question is do any of you know if any were produced without a cheek piece? I have not been able to find any reference that suggests or pictures one without a cheek piece. I am just curious. The stock,receiver and bolt are all of the same number so it may be that when the stock was redone the cheek piece was removed.
Thanks in advance for any comments.
My best,
Mike
Posted By: John Can. Re: Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/22/13 07:47 PM
Just an opinion mind you but from that era there are commercial Mausers as in ex military rifles available with / without cheek piece, just depends. No reason not to think the same didn't occur with M-Ss. Post a pic. if you can. --- John
Posted By: Igorrock Re: Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/23/13 03:51 AM
Does the rifle still have the original caliber 8x56 MS ? I sold my own some moths ago.
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/23/13 06:47 AM
Mike,
My stock is the same, rounded pistol grip, without cheekpiece - the only one I ever saw without this standard feature. Mine seems to have original factory finish so I take it as genuine. I think rounded pistol grip was changed for grip cap version circa 1910.
With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: MikeV Re: Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/23/13 11:58 AM
Yep. It is still the original 8x56.
Posted By: MikeV Re: Question regarding M/S 1908 - 07/23/13 12:01 PM
Jani,
Thanks for the reply. I was curious if there were any others. Now that I know that there were I'll assume mine is an original.
My best,
Mike
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com