doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: John Can. Old German SxS - 03/08/13 11:57 PM
Kind of hard to read but the name on the rib is Ludwic Kloti, Leed (in gold) as best I can make out. This is on an odd actioned SxS, very deep etched damascus barrels, engraving is also deep, with pre 1891 proof mark. Have 2 pics but can't scan for a couple of weeks.

Any info. would be appreciated. --- John
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 12:52 AM
Difficult to tell John without an image but maybe via the process of elimination?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post294400
Looks like anything in the above thread?

If so it might be on of the Dreyse-Berger-Fürst Pless-Teschner-Collath actions?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 01:09 AM
Raimey, About as close as one can get I would say. This one is cocked by pushing in the "spring loaders" from the back. This one is very ornate and looks to be in excellent shape.

Story goes it was "liberated" from a castle. When the input closes I'll print this out.

I will get more pics. asap --- John
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 01:18 AM
So something akin to this?

Do the needles protrude as far?

I wonder if the name is Ludwig or Ludwic?

http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=201021&page=3
Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 02:07 AM
That it Raimey, almost a clone except the is different. Very fine swirls with 4 pointed stars in between (scroll) perhaps.

Can these be had / converted to straight center fire? I think it's
Ludwic unless the "C" is actually "G". That Leed could be Lecx it's hard to tell because the gold inlaid letters are surrounded by the swirls in the rib.

--- John
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 02:17 AM
Collath was doing it but I think it has been a while since the concern has preformed a conversion. It may be as simple as changing out the firing pins. FJS just might know. I think he is making new firing pins for his.

How 'bout Leck?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 03:16 AM
Yes could easily be Leck, as in LECK, it is all in capital letters, so
LUDWIG KLOTI? LECK, does that Leck ring a bell for you. Do you think it could be Ludwig Leck?

I'm quite certain the gun is center fire. --- John
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 12:42 PM
It could be Ludwig/Ludwic Klöti of Leck, Nordfriesland, but it is just a shot in the dark without seeing the text. I don't know the country gunsmith and there may be a little info on him somewhere but more info may be obtained from the type action which may point to the actual maker of the sporting weapon. He may have been a retailer or may have added his own flair to a gesteck that he ordered. Does the o have the umlauts over it(..)?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/09/13 01:40 PM
Raimey I think we'll go with Mr. Leck for now. The action, engraving, trigger guard, rib style is identical to your last pic.
Some things different are the damascus type, horn encased under-lever and pistol grip at lest I can't make them out.

I can't see any umlauts in my pic. but will give the gun a more thorough look. Your input has been / will be very enlightening so thank you. I will arrange to get more pics. in the future.

--- John
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/18/13 01:43 AM
Well I went over to the "Museum" and took a bunch of pics. (about 35) of various firearms including the guns being discussed here.

I was going to split them up and I may have to but there are a few items of interest for other members in them also.

I realize it's quite a few but would someone be so kind as to post them here / start another separate topic.

Give me your thoughts if nothing else. --- John
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Old German SxS - 03/25/13 12:41 AM

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: C. Roger Bleile Re: Old German SxS - 03/25/13 03:27 PM
A good picture of that gun would look good on next year's GGCA calendar.

As to converting the gun from needle fire to centerfire, I think it should be left alone. I have a similar gun by Franz von Dryse and can live without being able to shoot it.
Posted By: John Can. Re: Old German SxS - 03/25/13 05:33 PM
CRB - Some more picture(s) could be arranged, let me know what you would need.

The gun is already converted to center fire but doubt it has been used much. --- John
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Old German SxS - 03/25/13 10:59 PM
Originally Posted By: John Can.
CRB - Some more picture(s) could be arranged, let me know what you would need.

The gun is already converted to center fire but doubt it has been used much. --- John
Very "minty" indeed.
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com