doublegunshop.com - home
Posted By: gjw Opinion On This One - With Pics - 01/19/12 06:44 AM
Hi all, so what's the opiniononthis one, prcie, quality and comment on the maker or gun would be great!!!

http://www.dismalriverarmory.com/goluchprewar16ga.html

Thanks as always!

Greg

Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 02:52 PM
It's a good looking hammer gun for sure. The rear screw on the left lock and what appeared at first to be zero wear on the barrels caught my attention as to wondering if it has had any restoration done (steel) but the close-up showing detail of the stock finish and what looks to be common wear on the rear barrel lug makes me think it could be the real thing. If it is 100% I wouldn't argue with the price. If I were in the market for such a gun I would bring it in and inspect it closer for signs of refinish and decide from there. It's nice. I'm not familiar with the maker (retailer?).

Buchseman
Posted By: m-4 Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 04:56 PM
That gun looks like the twin to my Franz Sodia 16 made in Ferlach Ausria in 1931, does it have any makers code on the water tables or bottom of the bbl's? Pin placement in the locks, hammers, bbl's all look to be the same. I would almost bet the name on the rib was just the retailer that sold it from his store, look at the engraving quality in his name atop the rib compared to the quality of the rest of the gun.

M-4
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 07:40 PM
This is a Ferlach gun retailed by Carl Goluch of Linz between the wars. Goluch was also active post WWII.
BTW I think Hitler was not born in Linz but rather in Braunau.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: m-4 Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 08:23 PM
Should have a 2 # digit code that will better identify who made it, I know that my Franz Sodia is an excellent gun that I really enjoy!
http://www.hallowellco.com/Ferlach%20gunmakers_code_numbers.htm
should help you identify the maker

M-4
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 09:15 PM
The Ferlach 2-digit makers' codes were introduced in 1945 under British occupation.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: m-4 Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 09:32 PM
Let's see the markings of the watertables & datastring on the bottomside of the bbl's to see if they reveal the answer.

M-4
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Opinion On This One - 01/19/12 11:49 PM
Yeah, like Jani I think production between WWI & WWII. Don't know why but many hold his offerings in high regard. Looks as if the firm was still peddling sporting weapons post 1971. I too agree that this was sourced from the pool in Ferlach but from time to time one sees the name of other gunsmiths paired with Karl Goluch. He may have been an intermediate source. If it hasn't been re-touched, it is in top condition. The Prima Gewehr Lauf Stahl Fried. Krupp Essen is more than likely Ferlach recipe for Suhl's Weapons Grade Krupp steel. Just advertising for the most part and there may or may not be a difference in composition. Length of pull is quite short. I'd want to confirm the tubeset length as it should be an integer length like say 72cm, although a 1/2 integer like 71.5cm is possible.

He looks to have been at Herrenstraße 50, Linz.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: gjw Re: Opinion On This One - 01/20/12 04:07 PM
Hi all and thanks, well here are some pics of the bbl flats, so what can you tell me now on this one. I'm really interested in the maker and other info you can tell me.

Thanks again!

Posted By: ellenbr Re: Opinion On This One - 01/20/12 08:06 PM
Originally Posted By: gjw

Experienced proof in Ferlach in 1931. Images of the area forward of the flats might point to a maker and should also contain a datastring.

M4's Sodia

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Opinion On This One - 01/20/12 08:15 PM

Karl Goluch

M4's Franz Sodia

Jani provides history on the Boys Sodia: http://www.doublegunshop.com/forums/ubbt...true#Post132305

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: montenegrin Re: Opinion On This One - 01/20/12 08:33 PM
This is a very nice Ferlach gun.

With kind regards,
Jani
Posted By: m-4 Re: Opinion On This One - 01/20/12 09:25 PM
The way my Franz Sodia fit's & shoots makes it one of my favorites, makes a sweet little 16ga hammergun!

M-4
Posted By: gjw Re: Opinion On This One - 01/21/12 06:12 AM
Hi all, thanks so much!!! M4's looks like a carbon copy of mine (yep I bought it, for less than the asking price).

I'll post pics of the bbl marking when I get her.

Thanks again so much!!!

Greg
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Opinion On This One - 01/21/12 01:31 PM
Knowing the quality of the pool of Ferlach mechanics along with M4's endorsement, I don't think you will be disappointed. But once again that stock length is a bit short for me.

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
Posted By: gjw Re: Opinion On This One - 01/21/12 03:36 PM
Hello Raimey, thanks again for all the info, infact thanks everyone!! It's been an education and I appreciate it!

Odd thing is, the LOP is about right for me. My LOP on a straight stock is 14 1/4" and this one being a PG would be about right.

Thanks again!!!!

Greg
Posted By: Run With The Fox Re: Opinion On This One - 01/22/12 03:44 AM
What are the deep scratched marks on the rearmost lug right hand barrel facing side??
Posted By: Buchsemann Re: Opinion On This One - 01/22/12 04:12 AM
Greg,

Congratulations! It looks like a very nice piece. I look forward to seeing more pictures.

Buchseman
Posted By: gjw Re: Opinion On This One - 01/22/12 02:23 PM
Thanks again all!!! I'll post some pics when I get her!

All the best!

Greg
Posted By: ellenbr Re: Opinion On This One - 02/05/12 02:11 PM
This 1934 Franz Sodia boxlock is built on a 1931 Sauer Krupp 3 Ringe tubeset:

Looks to be #538 of 1931(538.31)

Have any of you Sodia owners seen a similar Sodia mark as seen on the aft lug? Or does it have Sauer origins?

Kind Regards,

Raimey
rse
© The DoubleGun BBS @ doublegunshop.com